Which amp to use with my modeler ?

Soulgolem

Hey guys and gals,

I already own a TC Helicon Voicelive 3 which has guitar amp simulation on-board, i'd love to use it efficiently when performing live, i don't own a working guitar amp at the moment, was shopping for one and was wondering what y'all use for an amp with your modellers ?

I usually prefer tube tones from tube amplifiers, it's what i'm used to, i've had other modellers in the past but could never find a good match for them solid-state amp-wise, i hear power amp and speaker cab is a way to go, but i don't know, i'd like to keep things minimal, usually happy with a 1x12 without too much power.

Francis.

71strat

I use a Fender Cyber Twin with an FX8 with great results.

I bought the CT when they 1st came out in 2001, and its been my grab/go amp ever since. Then I got the FX8 for added effects, as the CT is limited in how you can combine them, but what 1st it does have re pretty good.

The CT is Solid State Power Amp x 2 x 12ax7 Preamp. Its common to replace the 12ax7s with 12au7s. I also put NOS Mullard 10M Gold Pin 12au7s in mine, and 2 x Celestion Creams. But that not imperative.

I mainly use 3-5 different amplifier configurations, so the tube/speaker swap works for me, but I had the stock stuff in there for 15 years.

CT has Line Level, Effects Loop, MIDI, SPDIF, 65w x 2 Stereo x 130w Mono. Headphone Jack. In/Out Phase. Also comes in Head Version, and 4 x 12.

CT also takes pedals great straight into the input. A Wah Fuzz, Boost, is really all I need if I want to keep it simple. Is got nice Delay/Reverb/Compressor(s) Chorus/Flange/Tremolo/Vibrato. Its just limited by how many you can combine.

The key to CT is learning the Trim/Gain controls. CT is 2 x 12 x 55lbs x 130w.

CT is also Not a Modeling Amp, and signal path is 100% Analog. The Effects are Modeled. It was $1300 out the door in 2001. $1700 List.

I also like to run my Metro GMP45/CT in Stereo

The CT has a Virtual Circuit Board, and Reconfigures the Circuit to the original values. Not just a sample.. Not saying anything wrong with Modeling, just that this gives something different.

The onlt reason they stopped making a CT is because theyre hard to build, expensive to build/sell, nd they didn't market them very well.

Steve Winwood has used 2 of them since 2004. They can be had for $500

Last edited:

VCuomo

Keep in mind that using a guitar cab will limit your ability to use the modeler's cab sims.

Reactions: rsm

scott58

Keep in mind that using a guitar cab will limit your ability to use the modeler's cab sims.

Only to a point. With my XTLive there were only a few cabs I could use. With the HD there's only a few I can't. Modeling has gotten a lot better.

scott58

Straight in. The Vj doesn't have a loop. When I had the XTLive there weren't many cab mode!s that sounded very good, but with the HD it's the exact opposite. Most of the cabs sound pretty good so it gives me more options to use or not. This amp has been a great platform. Especially for the brighter chimeyer stuff. The SLO 100 and AC30 are great. Been trying to use my VHT for more vintage american stuff, but the Vj is still my favorite.

Fireproof

Platinum Supporting Member
Cool - thanks for the feedback. I have a few options for amplification of my (new) Helix LT, but that doesn't prevent me from GASing for other options to play around with. :D

A small tube amp like that sounds intriguing.

rsm

For my digital modelers I use a Roland CUBE Street EX for my FRFR monitor.

I recently picked up a Helix LT, and use the CUBE as well, however, I also have a Line 6 AMPLIFi 150 - I'm getting a cable adapter to run the LT into the FRFR Aux in of the 150 for a full Line 6 rig.

This way I can keep my main rig connected to the CUBE while I learn/experiment with the LT rig.

edit: it will also let me easily A/B both rigs too

scott58

If you go for an amp like this go to the specific forum's for the amp and find out which tubes they are using for the most headroom. You want the best cleans you can get.

pepi

Was using my Epi Valve Jr. but I bought a Quilter ProBlock 200 and I'm not looking back. Kicks a@@

Trending Topics

Top Bottom