Which amp would YOU sell?

BMX

Supporting Member
Sell the Bassman and the Marshall. Then when the dust settles buy someone to go with the Rambler that you actually like.

Keeping an amp because it's vintage or for the wow factor is a waste of time. Get gear that makes you want to play more and get's you excited.

Gnarlly

Sell the Rambler. You're just still in the honeymoon phase with it.
The Fender and Marshall will go up in value and be more desirable down the road. If you can only have one, it sounds like you should keep the Fender.

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Silver Supporting Member
I'd say keep the Rambler, you said it had become your #1, and keep the Bassman (it was the root inspiration for Marshall's anyway, unless your talking about the more recent gain-monster Marshall's) with a good pedal the Bassman will be able to reach tones the departed Marshall used to do for you. Your in the UK - Marshall's should be easy to find and replace, Carr Ramblers, Fender Bassman's not so much.

I'm in the "sell the Marshall or Bassman" camp. You said the Rambler stole the show, that it's your main gigging amp. What else do you need to know? Let someone else pay you a lot of money for an amp that's too precious to gig with. Let it collect dust in their house while you get your bills paid and still have a top-notch hand-wired amp in the Rambler.

I'd say keep the Rambler, you said it had become your #1, and keep the Bassman (it was the root inspiration for Marshall's anyway, unless your talking about the more recent gain-monster Marshall's) with a good pedal the Bassman will be able to reach tones the departed Marshall used to do for you. Your in the UK - Marshall's should be easy to find and replace, Carr Ramblers, Fender Bassman's not so much.
This 6G6A Bassman amp was NOT the inspiration for the Marshall. The inspiration for the Marshall was the 5F6A Fender tweed Bassman.
which amp to sell???? Major Dude, you are the only one who can decide that for you. You have three very different amps there. Take a second job to pay the bills? Sell a guitar or two? IN other words, keep all three amps. I am a big believer in having more different amps than guitars....or an amp that does a lot of different things. None of those amps you have are that kind of amp...so you might need them all.

sickboy79

This is a tough call. Definitely keep the Bassman, no question (I LOVE Bassman heads). Hard call between the Marshall and Carr. I haven't played the Carr. Seems like you love it which is fantastic! But, as much as many people said the Marshall would be easy to replace, I don't know if I agree. I haven't checked the JMP era 2204/2203 used market lately but, they will get harder and harder to get as years go on. Trust your ears, fingers, and gut. Just don't sell the Bassman.

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Silver Supporting Member
This 6G6A Bassman amp was NOT the inspiration for the Marshall. The inspiration for the Marshall was the 5F6A Fender tweed Bassman.
which amp to sell???? Major Dude, you are the only one who can decide that for you. You have three very different amps there. Take a second job to pay the bills? Sell a guitar or two? IN other words, keep all three amps. I am a big believer in having more different amps than guitars....or an amp that does a lot of different things. None of those amps you have are that kind of amp...so you might need them all.
sorry I didnt catch the pedigree of the bassman the OP said he had. of course you are right - it was the tweed 5F6A bassman that gave Jim Marshall his early inspiration. the later blonde or blackface bassman heads were a different amp chassis design completely. good luck with your decision, its difficult to not love all the kids equally.

GuitarArt1980

I'll play devil's advocate. The baby boomers are going, and possibly taking vintage gear demand with them. I'd wonder if that Bassman is going to be worth much more than it is right now.

To the tune of some song by some old Englishmen.....

"They tell you go and sell the Rambler,
The one you say you love so much!
They tell you go and sell the Rambler
Just because your down on your luck!

But the Bassman and the Marshall don't move you,
'cause the fixed bias ain't so smooth!
And the little saggy bitch of a Rambler
Simply fits right in the groove!

No, don't you go and sell that Rambler!
The thing will be your best friend!
Don't you go and sell the Rambler,
Keep her right until the End!"

Major Dude

It is certainly reassuring to see TGP opinion is as divided as my own!

Obviously I don't know how many of the pro Rambler sellers have based their advice on actually having owned one because that really is an amazing amp, Steve Carr nailed it with that one. Although I love vintage I definitely don't hold any of my gear as too precious to gig with, I prefer to fully enjoy it. TBH I was seriously considering a curve ball by keeping the Marshall (which totally rocks) purely for the contrasting Marshall vs Fender tone however you've all helped convince me that my gut feeling was right....The Bassman stays in the family

...but the Rambler has still got the gig :omg

Thank you

Major Dude

To the tune of some song by some old Englishmen.....

"They tell you go and sell the Rambler,
The one you say you love so much!
They tell you go and sell the Rambler
Just because your down on your luck!

But the Bassman and the Marshall don't move you,
'cause the fixed bias ain't so smooth!
And the little saggy bitch of a Rambler
Simply fits right in the groove!

No, don't you go and sell that Rambler!
The thing will be your best friend!
Don't you go and sell the Rambler,
Keep her right until the End!"