• Please use the following thread to discuss any bugs, issues, or feature requests related to the forum software upgrade.

Click here for Thread

Which amp would YOU sell?

My pleasure, Major Dude! the 'Rambler' made for a natural fit...the rest just flows, right? that is one of their best songs from maybe my favorite album of theirs.
I have never been around a Rambler....I just found a schematic for the preamp. IT is based in the BF Fender world. They didn't draw out the trem function, so I am going to guess that it is a bias vary???
I could see a switch to go from that cathode bias to fixed bias as a positive IF one were looking for a bit more power and headroom for certain applications. That 25K mid pot makes a difference in comparison to a stock vintage Fender reverb amp tone stack. I would love to see a schematic of the output section. NO negative feedback loop?

ES330

After all the gear I've gone thru, I'd keep the gear that stole the show !!
Your own words described the Bassman as awesome.
The Marshall was described as backup.

Sell the Marshall.

TCMx3

It is certainly reassuring to see TGP opinion is as divided as my own!

Obviously I don't know how many of the pro Rambler sellers have based their advice on actually having owned one because that really is an amazing amp, Steve Carr nailed it with that one. Although I love vintage I definitely don't hold any of my gear as too precious to gig with, I prefer to fully enjoy it. TBH I was seriously considering a curve ball by keeping the Marshall (which totally rocks) purely for the contrasting Marshall vs Fender tone however you've all helped convince me that my gut feeling was right....The Bassman stays in the family

...but the Rambler has still got the gig :omg

Thank you
FWIW I'm selling my Rambler and I suggested you sell the Marshall, so there's that (for what little it's worth).

Of course the only reason I'm selling mine is because it has inadequate (truly) clean volume and I've already purchased a bigger amp which does some similar things at higher volume. And I'm out of space in my home, because if I weren't, I'd have kept it.

alamere

TBH I was seriously considering a curve ball by keeping the Marshall (which totally rocks) purely for the contrasting Marshall vs Fender tone however you've all helped convince me that my gut feeling was right....The Bassman stays in the family

...but the Rambler has still got the gig :omg

Thank you
I personally think you've made the right choice! The Rambler and Fender are certainly not the exact same sound so you do have some contrast.. and if you need it later, just borrow a Marshall! haha.
Also, the Marshall is relatively easy to replace if needed later on..

Keep the ones that you love.

critter74

Supporting Member
Yeah that Bassman has to stay. They gave to be rare as hens teeth in the U.K. They're hard enough to fibs here in either good quality, original (sans standard replacement parts like caps, etc) and/or a non-eye rolling "get the f*** outta here" price. Plus, most importantly, you love it. That is the really only reason you need.

I vote sell the Marshall as well. You do t love it, probably won't miss it and can replace it much easier and cheaper than the other 2 if you decide you want to later.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Silver Supporting Member
I would keep the Rambler even if I had to sell two of the three. And I wouldn't want to sell the Bassman. So long, Marshall!

wi3465

Guitar Slut
Gold Supporting Member
Really, not a bad problem to have. If it were me, I would sell the Bassman and the Marshall. The get another flavor of Carr amp. Hopefully the used market in your country isn't as saturated as it is in the USA. Good luck with your decision.

Major Dude

I have really appreciated everyones input, it definitely helped clear the brain fog, thank you.
I rehearsed with the Bassman this morning then recorded and gigged with the Rambler this afternoon and evening...the right decision has been made and I count myself very lucky to have even had this choice to make in the first place.

Really nice to see some Carr love materiasing towards the end too, that Rambler is insanely good.

Major Dude

FWIW I'm selling my Rambler and I suggested you sell the Marshall, so there's that (for what little it's worth).

Of course the only reason I'm selling mine is because it has inadequate (truly) clean volume and I've already purchased a bigger amp which does some similar things at higher volume. And I'm out of space in my home, because if I weren't, I'd have kept it.
I hear ya Red, thanks for your take.

I like a little bit of grit with my cleans so the Rambler boosted with a Juicer or backed off SunFace is just perfect for my needs. That being said, in my gig environment I do only run the volume at around 45-50% so I'm not cranking the amp enough to experience it running out of true clean headroom...with single coils at least. Space for gear is also part off the issue at home here too, more so with where to store all the cases! :dunno