Which amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by striven82, Jan 4, 2008.

1. striven82

striven82 Member

Hey folks, I've been poking around in the HC forums but a lot of the responses I've been getting are really not that helpful. Hopefully I can get some useable advice here.

I'm in the market for a good (decent) tube amp. I would like something with more than one speaker. I'm not currently gigging but that could be just over the horizon for me. I do want decent volume, I don't need something that can play in a stadium. Most of my use will be at home but there will be the occasional jam session with some friends and possibly some smallish club gigging around the corner. I'm looking for a good clean tone with a nice fat bottom and smooth gracefull mids and bell-tone highs. A good sounding dirty channel is always a plus. I guess I want it all huh? My musical style is all over the place, I dabble in everything. Mostly rock, blues, folky stuff, alt and reggfunkska. Ok, I made that last one up. I also like playing some heavier stuff once in a while but I really don't think I'll ever gig with it.

Price is my biggest hurdle. I just bought a new car and the payments are killin me. Realisticly I think I need to keep the price under a grand. I'd like to buy new if possible. Combo's or stacks, I'm not partial to one over the other. I don't think I need as much volume as stack might put out, but who knows. The selection in my area blows so I'll probably be ordering online. I've been on MF constantly for about the last month just looking around.

Here are the amps I've been looking at:
    - Peavey Valveking 100 combo or stack
    - B-52 AT-100 head and stack
    - Epiphone blues custom 30 combo
    - Palomino V3212 combo
    - Peavey Classic 50 212 combo

I guess I'd rather not go deaf trying to acheive the tone I'm looking for.
    The $500-650 price range is much more attainable for me since I'll be scrounging every penny. For some reason the custom 30 really peaks my interest. I have the valve junior and I like the sounds I'm hearing. The cleans break up too soon to have any serious clean volume.

I don't mind modding the amp to get the desired sound. I'm sure I'll be doing a tube change and maybe a speaker change eventually anyhow.

I'm just not sure which way to go from here. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. rockon1

rockon1 Member

3. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I wouldn't be hung up on two speakers. There are a lot of good 1 x 12 combos in that price range that it would be a shame to exclude. If you really need more speakers, you could add a cabinet, but most 1 x 12 amps are capable of getting way louder than you need for gigging.

4. striven82

striven82 Member

Some amps have two inputs: Normal and bright, or high and low. Does it really make that big of a difference? Do most people just leave it in the high or bright input most of the time?

5. striven82

striven82 Member

I can get a BC30 from MF for $500 even and free shipping. How does this amp compare with the rest of 'em? Is 100 watts tube too loud for casual home playing? That would take the b-52 and valveking out of the equation.