Which Amps Am I Overlooking?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by soundchaser59, May 27, 2008.

1. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Supporting Member

I will be shopping around for a great sounding amp that can double as a top shelf practice amp. I just want a really nice but manageable second amp so that i dont have to tear down my recording rig amp whenever I go out to jam or play at small gigs or whatever. I have done quite a bit of research already, but I am convinced that I have missed something. I know there are things out there that I have not heard of yet, have not remembered to search for, or have simply dismissed without really knowing much about them, etc. So help me fill in the gaps in my list. You dont have to explain if you dont want to type much, just a name or a couple of names/models will be helpful. I will do the homework if you help fill in my list.

I have already combed thru the standard list, like Traynor and Mesa, and in fact I have a Mesa 5.25 Express. I am getting rid of the Vox Valvetronix practice amp because the more I play the Mesa the more I dislike the sound of the Vox ADxx amps.

Here are the conditions of the list....

REQUIRED TRAITS:
    (1) Head Only, no combos unless it's a no-brainer, but then it must be a 1x12.
    (2) Minimum 8 or 10 watts, prefer 15-30, but no 3 or 5 watt toy amps for $99 bucks blue light special.
    (3) All Tube, no solid state.
    (4) 8 ohm speaker out. (or selectable 4-8-16)
    (5) Under $2,000 new.
    (6) Made in USA, Canada, or UK - no China, Mexico, Korea, etc. manufacture.

DESIRABLE TRAITS:
    (1) 2 (or 3) channel, foot switchable.
    (2) Independent tone stack, tone controls for each channel, not shared, hopefully with at least Hi-Mid-Low.
    (3) Master volulme.
    (4) Foot switchable boost.
    (5) FX Loop or Send/Return.
    (6) Loves Pedals.

And I should tell you that the standard against which this list is competing is the THD Flexi-50, which I can get for around $1800, or the THD BiValve which I can get for about $1200.

Thank You All in advance for your time and assistance!

2. bosstone

bosstone Member

Fargen Mini Plex II if you like great Marshall sounds,

3. kodecar

kodecar Member

You have to check out Reeves Amplification at http://www.reevesamps.com/.

Look at the Custom 6/12, The Custom 10 HG, and the Custom 18. All killers with some of the best wiring you will find anywhere. All can be had with the London Power Scaling option.

For a few bucks more, take a look at the Custom 30 while you are there.

Good luck.

4. mbetter

mbetter Member

If I had a similar list of requirements, I'd be eying that Demeter in the Emporium. That's just me, though.

5. GEN DAWG

GEN DAWG Silver Supporting Member

That's a lot to ask for -- but check out the Koch Studiotone. I've not played one myself, but I have tried other Koch equipment and liked it. It has all, or at least most, of the requirements you list.

If you weren't dead-set on channel switching, I'd check out the Gries line. Those I have played and they are super. I own a Gries 5 and it's outstanding. I believe Gries is developing (may already be selling) an 8-watter with a gain boost. By the way, I have used my Gries 5 on gigs (mic'ed), and it was a winner.

6. oldrock

oldrock Member

did you already check out the orange amps? There are a couple that might fit that set list so to speak.

7. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

Spend some time searching the archives. You'll find lots of info.

8. FFTT

FFTT Member

Reeves Custom 18 or Custom 30

Used Bad Cat 30R, Classic Cat or Black Cat

Reinhardt 18 or 33

9. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Any Maven Peal amp would more than satisfy but you'll have to buy used. They can go from 1 watt to 100 depending on the model and sound great doing it.

10. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

A used Quidley. 22/8 watts, great master, effects loops, boost, and it is a great sounding rig.