Which amps does the BJF Honey Bee sound particularly good with?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by scottcw, Oct 4, 2005.

1. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Blackface Fender?
    Tweed?
    Marshall plexi?
    Vox?

Which type of amp does the Honey Bee shine with? Certain amp/pedal combinations sound so good that you would swear that you are not using a pedal. I am looking for that with my Honey Bee. I am also using a Proanalog Scary Face and a Hotcake (Kometcake).

Thanks.

2. drolling

drolling Member

The HB's one of the 2 BJFs I'm currently using and they both seem to work really well with all my gear. Mind you, I'm only using old single channel tube amps (black/brownface fenders, vox) and mainly single coil guitars.

It's great w/teles, strats & fender amps, but I can usually load up on tons of effects w/fender amps & guitars. On the other hand, my gretsch hollowbodies & AC15 don't like most pedals. The HB really fattens up the sound of dynas or filter'trons w/the vox in a natural way. Combined w/analog delay and the other BJF (a seablue EQ), I'm getting the best tones ever out of that amp.

I also tried it w/my good buddy's LoneStar, it really can make a large, modern amp sound like a small, old tweed.

What amps & guits are you using w/the honeybee?

3. scottcw

I am using a 60s Ampeg Jet and a Hamer Custom with Lollar P90s. The Honey Bee sounds great through the Jet, but I am leaving that amp in NYC when I move to CA in January. I am thinking ahead to when I need an amp in CA.

I also have a BJF MGMV and a SBEQ.

4. Seegs

Seegs Member

The HB sounds amazing with every BF amp I have used it with...particularly with my 64 Deluxe as it tends to soften and round off the high end that can some times be too much with most Deluxes...in general I love it with brighter voiced amps...

Chow,
    Seegs

5. Bill D

Bill D Guest

The Honey Bee sounds great with a Fender Pro Jr.

6. rhmcfarland

rhmcfarland Member

Th HB sounds great with my Bogner Metropolis, which is based on the AC30 design.

7. Brakhage

Brakhage Member

Sounds great with my Ampeg Gemini, Rev Hellhound and Gibson Falcon.

8. DerekMinnich

DerekMinnich Member

I received my Honey Bee from a forum member last week and although it is too soon to say, I don't think it's a good match for my Divided by 13 FTR 37.

The Honey Bee is a darker, fat sounding low gain overdrive. It IS dynamic. That being said, it adds a good amount of bottom end. I already have a great deal of bottom end with my FTR 37 so it's kind of too much. I am using a strat though and haven't played it with buckers through the amp. I can see how this would be a spectacular overdrive for tons of different amplifiers but for my D13...I'm not so sure at the moment.

9. morgan

morgan Guest

Through my ac15 and hayseed, the honey bee is pure magic, simply an extension of the amp. The dynamics of the HB are just to die for, very amplike. It also sounds very very very good through my 68 bassman, bf champ. It's sounds awesome through them, but with the voxes it's another world.

Derek, i can see where the HB might be a bit thumpy on an already very low endy amp. The HB doesn't have a very tight low end (that's one of the things i like about it).

10. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

my favorite use for the honey bee is between my les paul jr and vox ac-30. sweeeeeet tone.

:dude

11. DerekMinnich

DerekMinnich Member

I can most definitely see how it'd work gloriously with an AC30 or from my experience, a Komet. I think it would be just the right thing for a Komet in fact(if your going for something different). I just wish it worked with my D13 without adding all the bottom end.:(

12. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Check the 'For Sale Emporium' here... :cool:

13. scottcw

Derek,

I realize that it is another expenditure, but a SBEQ between your HB and your amp would let you dial out the bottom end while keeping all of the dynamics of the HB. As Brew said, these pedals go together extremely well.

BTW - anyone tried the HB with a tweed Fender? I am specifically thinking of a Champ.

14. DerekMinnich

DerekMinnich Member

Yeah, but only to the tune of 270 more bucks. I don't know though, we'll see.

15. BJF

BJF Member

Hi Derekminnich

Ah, that is interesting about the HB /13 combination. /13's are not distributed here in Sweden I am afraid so, but how about setting Nature to about 10:30 which on most amps and with most guitars give bass response close to bypass.

Honey bee is in many ways molded after a rather small amp that had rich but not really firm bass...

Here's another trick: if you happen to have anything like a treble booster hook that up predriving HB- I used to do this with the farty old jazzamps that were around when I was young ;)

SBEQ as postcontrol to HB is an excellent match but then perhaps only if you happen to own both.

From what you tell though, I'd try a treble booster ahead.

Just a thought
    BJ

Oh, I hear though that EGD might be the match for FTR37 nutch, nutch

16. poutserman

poutserman Member

I'm glad you guys think it goes well with the Komet.Hey,where are those pedals made,anyway?

17. BJF

BJF Member

Hi

" Hey where are these pedals made anyway?"

They are made at a remote location at the outskirts of Stockholm, Sweden near the Baltic sea.

At your service
    Bjorn Juhl
    BJF Electronics
    www.bjfelectronics.com
    www.mpamp.com

18. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

Scott, I played four sets on Saturday night with my '63 Strat, two Evidence Lyric HG cords, a BJFE Honey Bee and a 1951 Fender Deluxe. It was a near-religious experience (that and playing with FIVE outstanding percussionists from Brasilia and Cuba, but I digress...). I could see where some folks might find it too blunt a projectile for them, but I was loving it (as was the audience...lotsa very nice comments about the tone as well as the playing).

The 5A3 circuit uses all octals and a concertina (IIRC) splitter into a P12R in a small pine cab. Zoiks!

19. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

My Bee has finally arrived, and first impressions are that it sounds bee-yoooo-tee-ful (sorry) through my Top Hat Club Royale...gotta gig on Saturday night, we'll see how it fairs in real life but man-it sure sounds great, it has that dynamic feel and response that everyone raves about :D

20. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

Scott also the MGMV has a little secret, if you leave it on and turn the Amplitude down (to where theres no modulation)

it does a nice little 'enhancement' into the HB ( or by itself for that matter ).. its nice to just leave on and roll the modulation in and out with a foot.... :cool: