• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Which analog delay do you prefer?

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
The MLJR’s DSP is proprietary and not PT2399-based. It does use an analog feedback loop, though.

Agreed that PT2399-based designs can sound close to BBDs and the artifacts are similar.
You're right, I'd forgotten he'd said that. Strange concept to use proprietary DSP and an external loop, but it just works!

rumstove

I got my H.B.E. Mimic Mock I used for $70 or $80 about 5 years ago and it's great. 3 knobs make it simple. Fairly bright for analog with I prefer.

My other favorite analog delay is the DMB Lunar Echo. Hi-fi/lo-fi switch, modulation section, a take off (a.k.a. self oscillation) footswitch, and expression pedal for delay time control it can do quite a bit. I bought it new years ago, no idea what they go for now.

DonaldDemon

Silver Supporting Member
I've had quite a few analog delays and the big box DMM will always be king for me. I really liked the AD999 too, just not the volume boost. FWIW, I hated the Carbon Copy, too dark and muddy, and didn't feel like it was anything special.

Hawkmoon269

Irrational BOSS Fanatic
Silver Supporting Member
I’ve only ever played one analog delay, my Boss DM-3 that I bought in a pawn shop in the 90’s. So I prefer that one.

Blue Bee

I love the old Ibanez AD99 I got last year! I use it next to my long time favorite the cassette Spacecase echo. I’d love to have another Meet Maude to sit next to them, sold it to get the echo a few years ago.

Rick Towne

Praise & Western
Gold Supporting Member
I'm now using an EHX Memory Toy, usually with the modulation on, and it's perfect for adding a warm and soft analog cloud to the G&L Alnico/ASAT Classic Princeton Reverb tone. You can find them used for $60 or new with return privileges for $99.

I've had a first series Retro-Sonic (with "Ehco" control) since 2007, and a Source Audio Nemesis, which has a very good DM-2 model, for a few years. Both are keepers, but the MT is as good for my current purposes on a small one sound setup as any Memory Man type delay I've heard.

Last edited:

Rick Towne

Praise & Western
Gold Supporting Member
I've just spent a month down this rabbit hole and settled on the EHX Memory Toy. Great delay tone that sits in the mix very well, and doesn't change the natural tone of the guitar. Needs 9.6V to make it oscillate but works more subtly with 9v. Before the EHX I liked the Animals Pedal Relaxing Walrus, super easy to use and sounds warm and wonderful, but you can't turn off modulation like you can with the Memory Toy.
Yup.

ESW.

Silver Supporting Member
The original Stereo Memory Man is my favorite analog delay. It's a great all-arounder - goes from short to super spacey.

glumlord

I’m a longtime Carbon Copy user(got mine in 2008 pretty much immediately after they hit the stores). I agree that it’s pretty dark, but It works perfectly for long washes and ambient stuff as well as pairing with a compressed high gain drive or fuzz for laser-beam leads. Lately, I’ve been wanting to try a different flavor of Analog Delay to complement my Volante and have been considering a few different delays including the heavy hitters like the Chase Bliss offerings and the Art Van Delay but decided to try a couple of the more standard options to see if that will que

I recently tried the SD Vapor Trail and was really excited about using the effects loop with some other effects, but it just didn’t make the cut. The repeats sounded really hollow and clunky compared to the warm, rich repeats of the CC. Somehow sounded both dull and harsh all at the same time... I had heard lots of good things about this one so maybe my ears are just tuned to the CC after so many years of regular use.

I just ordered a DM-2w and have really been liking the sounds of the demos I’ve listened to. I’m looking forward to trying it out.

Mosley

Electric Catnip
Platinum Supporting Member
Way Huge Supa Puss is my favorite analog delay :dude

MrFuzzTone

For 600 ms the Maxon AD 900 is a good basic sounding analog delay.
The Walrus Audio Bellwether is an analog delay people seem to ignore.
I have a lot of them. They can all sound good on a good day.
Yeah, I have a Moog 104M SD and a 104M and Blue SIB Echodrive and EXH Memory Man with cord and original 1100 Tap Tempo's and Memory Boy and Boss DM2's and Carbon Copy Deluxe and Retro Sonic and JAM Delay Llama and Rubberneck and T-Rex Replicator and Fulltone Tube Tape Echo
The Echodrive is big but nice.
And then there are the digital delays ...

whateverdude

Silver Supporting Member
BB DMM with attached cord, it just has THAT sound. I like my Rubberneck a lot also. I’m always on the lookout for another delay that might dethrone either of them.

Riffa

How would you describe its sounds and anything it compares to?
It's got a very organic quality to its repeats. The tone is thick, but not as dark as the Carbon Copy's, for instance. The repeats also fade away very nicely, kind of like what you get with the Ibanez AD-80, but without the "robot" sounds (that's how it sounded to me). The SAD-1 just seems to complement your tone in a very natural way, and I don't quite get that from any other analog delay. It's also great for slapback because it's got clarity without sounding too sparkly. If you have the chance to try one out, do it. It's a great pedal.

DrewB

It's got a very organic quality to its repeats. The tone is thick, but not as dark as the Carbon Copy's, for instance. The repeats also fade away very nicely, kind of like what you get with the Ibanez AD-80, but without the "robot" sounds (that's how it sounded to me). The SAD-1 just seems to complement your tone in a very natural way, and I don't quite get that from any other analog delay. It's also great for slapback because it's got clarity without sounding too sparkly. If you have the chance to try one out, do it. It's a great pedal.
Funny how we keyed in on the same thing in our descriptions!

Big in Japan

Silver Supporting Member
Fine, edited, you guys!!!

I don't know where I heard that about the Vapor Trail, but I stand corrected.
you're thinking of that other Seymour Duncan delay, the Deja Vu. I have always wondered about the analog/short - digital/long explanation for that one.
Yes. This is the DejaVu delay. But it’s not really analog for short repeats that transitions to digital for long repeats. It has both analog and digital lines, and there is a knob to blend them. So you tend to turn the blend toward digital on longer repeats because you get a lot of analog aliasing degradation at longer settings. But it can be 100% digital or 100% analog at any delay rate.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom