Which attenuator for Matchless HC30/DC30?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cg, Feb 1, 2015.

1. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

I have decided this is the amp for me. I absolutely love it. There are times I do need to manage the volume. Has anyone done extensive testing with attenuators and this particular model?

2. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Congrats! Not everyday you see such a thing in these here parts...

Does it have a half power switch? (i.e. are you attenuating from 15 or 30w?)

3. cg

It does have the half power switch and it works really well

4. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    When I had my DC30 I used a Hot Plate for it (4ohm) and it did a real good job of delivering some vol. reduction w/full tone - if you didn't try to go too low in the attenuation. This was in the mid/late 90's when the attenuator options were not as great as they are now. I found the half power switch in the amp not as useful for really taming the vol. as the Hot Plate. Even at 15 watts the DC30 was still very loud and get you some stink-eye from a bar owner.

5. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

Ran mine with an Aracom worked great. An Alex / Scumback would be my cheaper choice if I didn't need multiple ohm settings.

6. cg

Have you tested the Aracom and the Alex with the amp? If so, what did you find?

7. LARRY GERSHON

LARRY GERSHON Silver Supporting Member

I have one and it is loud at half power but the master volume is pretty effective try using that to knock the volume down a bit it is very useful.

8. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

I used the Aracom with my DC30. Just recently got an Alex. IMO they are very similar. Hard to pick one over the other unless you need the multiple OHM in / out.

Using an attenuator with the DC allowed me to get the power tubes working which thickens up the amp a bit. However it wasn't a night and day difference than when using the master volume.

If you want to try my Aracom with your DC30 PM me and well see if we can set up a time.

9. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Aracom, hands down. Best attenuator I've used and it's fantastic with Matchless amps.

10. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Take JES1680 up on his offer!!!! It's the only way to compare your Alex and the Aracom vs , just using a master volume ,with YOUR amp and YOUR needs.. What a great opportunity :)