• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Which attenuator...?

strings4v

Basically between a Weber mass 100 and Alan Greer Watt killer 100 watt version..
The weber has a tone stack with bypass option, lineout, Treble compensation, and stuff.
The Watt Killer is just a straight up attenuating only and it is step operation not smooth curve.
Weber is a tad more expensive. I am not intending to use it to bring a dimed tube amp down to whispering volume and I know some have failed doing so before.. I'd just wanna cut 3~6db down so I am in the sweet spot without hurting my ears.
Any suggestions?

Stratobuc

The Weber has some nice options available, but it colored the sound too much for my ears. I think its important to match the type of attenuator you get to the amp you'll be using. There is a lot of difference in sound.

strings4v

The Weber has some nice options available, but it colored the sound too much for my ears. I think its important to match the type of attenuator you get to the amp you'll be using. There is a lot of difference in sound.

do you feel like it colors a lot even when only attenuated gently?

Chill_Billy

I found that Webers don't attenuate gently. My mini mass doesn't seem to do much unless I go at least 2/3rds on the dial.

tylermoss

My webers (minimass and mass 50) both don't do too much until 2/3rds on the dial - the 0, +3 +6 dB treble switch is super handy for my SFDR and AC30. Didn't like it so much with my JTM45 / JCM800 I liked the THD hotplate much more for those amps.

strings4v

hmm I didn't know Webers were abrupt. My Budda is sort of dark until it gets turned on loud. So I dunno. Maybe Alan Greer is the ticket?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom