1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Which audio I/F has the best guitar input?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by journo, Oct 11, 2018 at 3:34 PM.

1. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

That was added after. ;)

Watt McCo likes this.
  2. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Member

Yep. Also great stuff. I used their clock generators for years.
    The first gen of Apollos had something like a 5M Ohm instrument input and no impedance switching. Don't know when they changed things up, but I believe the 2nd gen (including the Twins) changed this. Don't know if the Arrow has the same Hi-Z input as its bigger brothers, but it's worth checking with UA.
    Either he added that line or I need to stop reading so fast.

FlyingsCool, Jose7822 and Watt McCo like this.
  3. hippietim

hippietim Silver Supporting Member

I'm using an RME Babyface Pro with my laptop - it seems to work well. It was expensive though.

4. MixMinisterMike

MixMinisterMike Supporting Member

UA Arrow specs:
    Hi-Z Instrument Input
    Connector Type Female 1⁄4” TS Unbalanced Dynamic Range 118 dB (A–weighting)
    Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise –105 dBFS
    Input Impedance (variable via Unison plug-ins) 1M Ohms
    Gain Range +10 dB to +65 dB
    Maximum Input Level (@ minimum gain) +12.5 dBu

Digital Igloo likes this.
  5. JerEvil

JerEvil Member

Yeah I love my Clarett 8Pre from Focusrite but thinking about moving over to UAD. If nothing else at least adding a Thunderbolt Satellite for the plug-in's and extra processing power.

6. MaxTwang

MaxTwang Member

UAD and RME are both outstanding if $$$ isn't an issue.

It's my understanding that UAD's variable impedance requires use of a UAD 'Unison enabled' plugin that allows switching input impedance, I don't believe input impedance is accessible outside of a UAD 'Unison enabled' plugin (UAD's 'Unison enabled' plugins run on the UAD device, not your computer, and can set/switch the device's input impedance to appropriate values for the hardware the plugin is modeling). Without a Unison plugin the Hi-Z input is 1M ohms, with a Unison plugin you're coloring your guitar with a mic pre or UAD amp sim.

7. journo

journo Member

Hey Eric!

I did add that afterwards as I realized people were going to suggest modelers with audio I/F capabilities. There's nothing wrong with your reading speed.

Cheers,

Mats N

Digital Igloo likes this.
  8. journo

journo Member

Thanks to one and all for your input here. Please keep experiences and opinions coming. Especially from those who actually use and record with plug-ins.

Cheers,

Mats N

9. fazer

fazer Member

Universal Audio interfaces are excellent, and, when using thunderbolt, latency feels non-existent.

10. Leon Todd

Leon Todd Member

11. ltkojak

ltkojak Member

To record or play live with a software-based, guitar-dedicated rig, where your instrument has passive p'ups, even a cheap interface like a Behringer UMC-202HD or a 2nd-gen Scarlett 2i2 deliver excellent tone, rivaling other much more expensive ones, as long as the instrument input load is 1M, which most are anyway. Audient makes Audio Interfaces with a JFET instrument input that should be designed for guitar, but my experience was not very good due to excessive latency, so I went with the UMC-404HD and it's excellent. Since then, they've upgraded their drivers, so the latency should be similar to the other competing products.

12. Lord N

Lord N Member

I don't think so. If you compare a Behringer side by side with a high end interface, the difference is quite substantial.

You yourself spoke from LESS than 2ms difference in latency between the Behringer and Audient. Less than 2ms is excessive? And you think anyone can feel the difference between 7 and 8 ms?

13. ltkojak

ltkojak Member

Playing only guitar? Not for me.
    When I shopped for a new AI to replace my M-Audio M-Track, which a roundabout latency of almost 10ms, I REALLY wanted to like the Audient, as I thought that JFET input would make a difference... but even if it was a bit better, I still felt the latency. A friend of mine was getting rid of his UMC404HD 'cause he bought a UMC1820, and I was surprised not feeling latency anymore... and the sound was detailed and transparent. Those Midas preamps are pretty good, so I didn't need to go further. I got the UMC404HD for a very good price, and I have been using it ever since, with a more than satisfactory result, both live and in the studio. So yes, I did feel the difference.

14. ltkojak

ltkojak Member

Funny you say that... why the placebo effect works only on me, when I said that I felt the latency and not on you when you say that one sounds "better" than others because they're more expensive? Hypocrisy much?

15. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Supporting Member

16. Lord N

Lord N Member

I didn't say that they are better because they cost more. They are better because they have better hardware.
    When someone finds 6.5 ms perfect but 8 ms "excessive" i can only shake my head.
    And yes, i think that no one could tell the difference. Between 0 and 1.5 ms maybe. But between 6.5 and 8? No.
    And hypocrisy? Nah. Quality in hardware and your 'feeling' when it comes to 1.5 ms are two different things.

17. ltkojak

ltkojak Member

Define "better hardware". What exactly is "better", and how do you know is "better"?

18. Lord N

Lord N Member

Really? Better converters, more range, clarity, neutrality, longevity and and and...
    Define excessive. Do you move 40 cm away from the speaker and go "********, this is unplayable!"?
    Or nah... don't. This conversation is pointless.

Edit: Also interesting what kind of words are censored here. :messedup

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 8:56 AM