Which Bad Cat is closest to a Matchless DC30?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by trey, Feb 21, 2009.

1. trey

trey Member

Lots more Bad Cats in my area than Matchless. I had a Cub II that was very nice but not enough to play with the rock band.

2. Franktone

Franktone Member

I think people here say it is the Bad Cat Black Cat, if I remember it right?

3. trey

trey Member

4. Franktone

Franktone Member

At first I made the mistake of saying it was the Hot Cat but I had a doubt and checked the Bad Cat web site and realized that the proper one was the Black Cat. People here have also noticed that the DC30 is more flubby but the Black Cat is a little more shrill in the high end, if I remember it right. Both amps seem to be an excellent choice, but if you are pressed to make a choice, the DC30 may be ahead by a hair. Periodic observations on the emporium seem to indicate that the Black Cat can be bought cheaper than the DC30. Both amps are also available in the form of a head too, as far as I can tell.

5. trey

trey Member

Excellent. Thanks again. I have been trying to find info on the Black Cat in head form. The Bad Cats do seem to go a little bit cheaper than the DC30, and there is a Bad Cat dealer in Austin so there are more of them floating around it seems. Hard to believe there is not a Matchless dealer in Austin. When I bought my Clubman off a member here, I registered the serial number with Matchless and asked about them not having any dealers in Austin. (2 or 3 in Houston though.) They asked me to recommend some dealers here, almost like they had not explored the possibility.

6. Franktone

Franktone Member

Matchless probably has not had to worry about who to sell their next amp to, until maybe recently. Anyway, I hear that they are great people to deal with, have a lot of pride in their amps, and have an overall positive attitude. They seem to go out of their way to please.

7. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

Mark Sampson created the Black Cat 30 as an improved version of his original DC30 design. I've owned both and while both are amazing in their own right, I preferred the Black Cat because of it's increased bass response. Absolutely one of the best clean tones you'll ever hear! The only downside is the weight...90 lbs and @120lbs w/roadcase.

8. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Black Cat.

I had a 2x12 Black Cat Reverb and a DC30 at the same time. I thought the DC30 had more "character" in its voice. Might not be everyone's cup of tea, though.