Which band/artist has a "perfect record"?

By perfect record, i mean not a weak album in their entire catalogue. They don't all have to be masterpieces, but who maintained consistent excellency throughout their entire output?
No 1 or 2 album bands allowed- they have to have at least 3 or more to qualify.

The only one i can think of is Jimi, and i'm referring to the 4 albums he released while he was alive.
Someone will probably chime in with the Beatles, but since i've never heard all their albums, i can't say with any certainty if they qualify.
Anyone else besides Jimi have a perfect record?

Powderfinger

Gold Supporting Member
Hmm:

Talking Heads were almost there. First 6 were masterpieces IMO. Next two were just OK.

Clash: First 4 were genius. 5th was meh, but had their two biggest hits on it. (I'm not counting "Cut the Crap" as a real Clash album).

Zeppelin: Every album up to ITTOD, although a lot of people like that one.

Last edited:

chucke99

Beatles, no question.

Zep, I'd give it to them even though they faded at the end.

Sabbath with Ozzy.

If you're a fan, I'd say Zappa, which is amazing because he released something like 50 albums during his lifetime.

Cream.

Hendrix.

Scorpions with Ulrich Roth. (They were a different band after that.)

kugelblitz

Beatles, Radiohead, The Doors are my picks. There are a lot of bands that come close but have just a couple of duds.

ddeand

Silver Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Outside of the album they did in the 90s, I've always felt that TRAFFIC had a nice catalog of LPs. And I agree with the suggestion of Jimi as well as THE TALKING HEADS.

Hwoltage

Sorry but you're really going to have to be more specific about Hendrix's record.

I would submit:

James Taylor.

DaGlenster

Steely Dan - 8 albums that all are very good and each got better as they went on. And then you can include the solo albums all very good and kept getting innovating.

Paul Simon - 11 albums all very good and each a bit different and innovating.

Joni Mitchell - 19 albums some fuzzy but all have great musicianship and some very innovating.

NashSG

I think Miles Davis is the king of musicians with a huge discography. Pretty much all of them are worth hearing and there is a real wide variety of sounds over the whole thing.

Pretty much any rock band than hangs around for a while is going to have a few duffers or a time when things just were not on. The other bands are going to have a smaller discography. Tool has gotten through closing on 20 years as a band with only four studio albums and an EP. Couldn't do that in the old days.

A band that had a longer discography that I think is better than many realize is Thin Lizzy. I pretty much liked all of their records. The classic ones in the middle are great, but there are some good music on all of them really, even though the band went through a ton of guitarists.

If you like Motorhead, you will find something to like on all of their records over the years and they have made a bunch.

rhinocaster

Supporting Member
I'm going to add Nick Drake to the list.

Five Leaves Left
Bryter Layter
Pink Moon

Three masterpieces that sound absolutely current even though they're from the late '60s/early '70s. :)

tnvol

Ufologist
I'm going to add Nick Drake to the list.

Five Leaves Left
Bryter Layter
Pink Moon

Three masterpieces that sound absolutely current even though they're from the late '60s/early '70s. :)
That's pretty hard to argue with. I REALLY like Pink Moon and Five leaves Left. The other is good but I didn't enjoy it as much as the other two. He was just a great songwriter.

Trending Topics