Which Band Had More Talent: Traffic, or Queen?

thisisajs

Gotta go with Queen, Freddie is easily one of the top 5 most talented frontmen of all time. I have him right up there with James Brown and Michael Jackson..

Coop47

Gotta go with Queen, Freddie is easily one of the top 5 most talented frontmen of all time. I have him right up there with James Brown and Michael Jackson..
That and the songwriting. Heck of a catalog. No knock on Traffic.

Custom50

Queen for me.

I'm pretty biased though. I love pretty much every note that has ever come out of Brian May's guitar. The fact that the rest of the band was amazing too doesn't hurt!

amstrtatnut

I preffer Traffic. Love Traffic. I just like Queen. Id say even Steven.

Queen had more flair and drama. Dont forget Traffic had Winwoid and Mason. Both huge talents.

oldtelefart

Different worlds. Hippy jazz-influenced jam band vs. Glam-rock hit-makers and showmen.

How do you measure talent?

If you measure by weight, 4 talented Queens outweigh two talented Traffics.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
OK, I thought carefully - Queen by a long shot.
I encourage everyone to listen to Queen II & Sheer Heart Attack.
This was the Queen I grew up with before the pop radio hits.
Those two albums are on my top 10 list of favorite albums of all times.

loudboy

Traffic, by a mile.

Winwood is easily as good a singer as Mercury was, and although neither bands had an especially deep catalog of what could be considered real classic tunes, I'm not a big fan of the "bombast and Broadway" style of Queen.

Traffic was more organic, and I liked that more.

Edit: Just read the thread title... I'll say that Winwood has more talent than almost anyone in rock. World class singer, great rock keyboard player and as a guitarist, he can hold his own w/Clapton. Then there's the songwriting skills...

Consider this - at 16 he co-wrote, sang lead and played one of the most genre-defining Hammond organ parts in history, on "Gimme Some Loving'." He'd have been in the Hall of Fame if he'd stopped there.

Then, there was Traffic, Blind Faith and a huge solo career in the '80s...

Last edited:

dhdfoster

Gold Supporting Member
How is the talent being measured? All we have to do, is look up the talent level of each member, add those numbers together, and we'll know, definitively, which band had more "talent".

sixty2strat

Winwood is one of rock greatest vocalists and better than Freddie in my book as he's less bombastic more soulful n funky. His B3 work is amazing and the guitar playing is stellar. Then when you consider everyone ever in the band and how they helped create progressive music and jazzy rock and a bit of folk, Wow what a ground breaking band. Honestly queen always stuck me as another hard rock blues band with quirky twists. like most of these things Queen when I was a teen was not my cup of tea and traffic was and it's still that way today so we are all biased by our taste and there is no real answer except our view of " I'm right and your wrong" which is only an opinion.

Depending on the era of Traffic 67-76it was always 3 guys and often 4 or more, with the swampers as well

sixty2strat

Traffic, by a mile.

Winwood is easily as good a singer as Mercury was, and although neither bands had an especially deep catalog of what could be considered real classic tunes, I'm not a big fan of the "bombast and Broadway" style of Queen.

Traffic was more organic, and I liked that more.

I was posting as I saw this and can only say I agree 100% cause saying 110 would be bombastic.

art_z

Gold Supporting Member
How is the talent being measured? All we have to do, is look up the talent level of each member, add those numbers together, and we'll know, definitively, which band had more "talent".
Logic has no place at TGP.

And I agree with you 100%.

chrisr777

Different worlds. Hippy jazz-influenced jam band vs. Glam-rock hit-makers and showmen.

How do you measure talent?

If you measure by weight, 4 talented Queens outweigh two talented Traffics.
Two? Jim Cappaldi, Chris Wood and later Ric Gretch, Rebop and Jim Gordon, etc. add a bit more weight than four Queens. But I am going with even. Different bands are too hard to compare.

BTW I am going to see Steve Winwood on Friday when he opens for Tom Petty.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
I have to go with Queen. They were pretty huge and loaded with talent. Honestly, I can't even name a Traffic song :huh .... I thought they were more of a minor league band but not trying to diss them by saying that.

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
I saw Traffic and Winwood solo. I saw Queen twice., the first was 1975. Uh! lets see, Gimme some lovin and I'm a man, hits before most of you were borne. And though its Steve who does the writing singing and playing, its announced as the Spencer Davis Group. It not an intelligent idea to compare these guys. Freddie, Steve, Paul McCartney at 28 years old;these guys and a few others are the best singers in rocknroll. Personally, I'd take Steve Winwood over the whole band of Queen. Queen would have never been without Freddie and Freddie probably wouldn't have blended with too many other acts to get a start. But Winwood, he could have been and has been solo anytime he wanted. Freddie would need a band. Winwood lyrics have far more substance.

Trending Topics