Which Band is the Heir Apparent to Rush?

Heir Apparent to Rush as Best Current Progressive Rock Band

• Opeth

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Mastodon

Votes: 9 6.5%
  • Porcupine Tree

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • Dream Theater

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • Tool

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • Other

Votes: 56 40.3%

• Total voters

Bankston

Rush was on the top of the prog rock world for much of their career. This thread is not intended to be a comparison between Rush and any other act.

The question is which band is the heir apparent as the current best progressive rock band in the world?

My vote goes to Opeth. What say you TGP?

ArtDecade

Silver Supporting Member
frabzfunny_8b8cca5ae79482ae4beb13759b1304b7.jpg

Twisted_Kites

Silver Supporting Member
It was always Primus.
They were Rush on acid when they broke in 1990.
Nobody has followed them into that space since.

but…Rush was unique. In Prog, in Rock, in every sense.
There won‘t be another nor will there be one that scratches that itch precisely like they did.

1morepedal

Rush was on the top of the prog rock world for much of their career. This thread is not intended to be a comparison between Rush and any other act.

The question is which band is the heir apparent as the current best progressive rock band in the world?

My vote goes to Opeth. What say you TGP?

That's easy, the one with the least number of females in the audience.

Ayns

Rush are definitely one of my top 5 all time favourite bands. I saw them on their first 2 UK tours, and a few other times afterwards. Unfortunately, i don’t think I’ve heard *anything* by any of the other bands on the list, but going by the few songs I’ve heard by them for the first time just this week, how about Big Wreck?

Also, I don’t think I’ve ever thought of Rush as “Prog”. :)

I'd say Primus. Or that Primus is at least a really good example of what the legacy of prog groups is. Primus doesn't sound like Rush, but they have the chops and their own unique creativity. There are lots of bands like Lightning Bolt, Man Is The Bastard and Dillinger Escape Plan who trade in complex arrangements and proggy technique but they don't sound like Rush or any of the classic prog groups. All the bands i just mentioned are old news so i'm sure there are some bands starting up right now that are waving the prog flag but maybe doing it at punk and metal venues. There are also producers like Flying Lotus who do something very proggy in a less conventional way. The MPC is basically a new instrument the same way a Chapman Stick was when it first started showing up in prog groups.

tinverse

I feel like Dream Theater is probably the closest. I love Tool, but I think their thing is very different.

If you want an up and coming band, I think the only new band I know of that is really progressive is Polyphia, but it's a completely different thing.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom