Which Barber: LTD, DD, DDSS????

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jamison162, Sep 18, 2006.

1. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Anyone have experience with all of these? What's the difference in them and what should I go for....i.e. which is more versatile.

Thanks once again.

2. theHoss

theHoss Member

For versitility I heard the Small Fry is pretty good. I just played one and it seemed much more versitle than my DD. I love my DD, but is is a Mashally type sound. The small fry you can play pretty open or decrease the dynamics and it gets more compressed sounding closer to the DD. I haven't played the LTD altough it has been compared to a Timmy...but I really haven't got a clue.

3. drmathprog

drmathprog Member

The Small Fry is a great pedal, and does several things very well. If I were toown just one barber OD pedal, the Small Fry is it.

4. Ken

Ken Member

I have both the DD and Small Fry and they both compliment eachother...The DD has a marshall in a pedal flavor, while the SF is more open with a really nice tone.

You can dial in a tone in the SF that comes close to the DD, but the DD still has its signature tone when you A/B them.

I would say it comes down to what your musical application is and at that point it is still very subjective.

5. jamison162

jamison162 Member

6. Eb79b5

Eb79b5 Member

What guitar(s), pickups, amp(s), speaker(s) are you using? What sound/tone are you looking for? What type of music are you playing? I own the DD, Small Fry, and LTD, among others. I agree with what is posted here already, and will add that depending on what you are wanting to accomplish anyone of the mentioned Barber pedals will provide you with a wide palate of tone possibilities. The most versatile is the Small Fry in my opinion. If I had to choose only one pedal to take to a gig, the Small Fry would probably be the one, however, the LTD is my favorite for various reasons. I have gigged with all three, and have also gigged with just one, just depends on the application and style. Good luck in your quest.

7. Gil1

Gil1 Member

I've had/have the LTD Black and Silver, DD and Small Fry.

For me, the LTD Black is wonderful, warm but still chimy somehow, can get chunky, run at 18 V it's great. Silver is nice, but a bit more fizz with the clearity. Small Fry is wonderful, flexable, great. DD wasn't for me.

I would recomend the Small Fry and LTD Black to anyone.

8. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

I'm not sure I can add much to what's already posted, but I can toss in my 2 bits...

My main pedal board has the black LTD at 18v for low gain (early David Gilmore-ish), a Small Fry at 9v for medium gain (Robben Ford-ish), and a DD w/ mod board at 18v for fairly high gain (Santana-ish or possibly even Alan Holdsworth-y) with good articulation.

The tone references are kinda general, they were sort of starting points and I've tweaked from there to get what I hope is "my" sound. That's one of the extremely cool things about Barber pedals - tweakability.

Guitars are strat and les paul types, amps are single channel with either el34 or 6v6 tubes.

With all that said, the most versatile out of the bunch I'd probably pick the Small Fry.

9. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

Dave Barber's Direct Drive is very nice sounding with single coils ;^)

10. imcorn

imcorn Member

hmm.. anyone compare a Barber LTD / Small Fry with a MI Audio BBD? How about the Barber DD vs the MI Audio Crunch Box?

11. Tankguy

Tankguy Member

I have an LTD on the way to put between an American Strat and a '59 Bassman LTD. Might try to patch in on the channel jump loop to blend clean and dirt together. Hadn't heard of using the channel jump as a loop until recently. Looking forward to the arrival of the LTD, will post comments upon arrival and test driving.