Which Bassman Head For...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ala02c, Jul 25, 2008.

1. ala02c

ala02c Member

Hey I've gotten a lot of good advice from reading the threads thought I'd throw this one out. Lookin for a loud and fat sound, will be using HB's and SC's. Preferably it wouldn't stay clean at rock gig volumes (Bar or club, full band, loud drummer). Usually run my 93 Blues Deville (5881's) at 3 o clock on normal chan. vol...pedals for boost or hard drive.

Heard good things about mid 60s to early 70s bassman heads. Any particular model/circuit that would work? Anyone got one they wanna get rid of? [​IMG]

Also put this up on fenderforum so well see what kind of responses I get from that too...

2. djw

djw Member

3. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

I think eve a late 70's model can sound great with minimal mods. I love them bassman heads.

4. m@2

m@2 Member

I was thinking, if you need to stay clean at RAWK levels, you may indeed want to look at the mid to late 70's. The good news is they are relatively inexpensive. The old bassman/bandmasters are also easy to tweak, and different tubes also can help with clean headroom. Good luck in your search, bassman rule! (I have a 63' 6G6, but those would not be what you are looking for, not much in the clean headroom dept)

5. AL30

AL30 Member

An AA864 normal channel circuit will stay cleaner than the (much more common) AB165 normal channel. But, both of these will break up (and sound great in the process) a little earlier than what I think you're looking for.

You may want to try a Dual Showman Reverb. That's a twin reverb circuit in a head box. Or possibly a Bassman 100 or 135?

AL

6. ala02c

ala02c Member

thanks guys but i was actually looking for a head that would NOT stay clean! (should have worded OP better)

So a AB165 would break up at moderate to loud volumes?...thats what i am lookin for! what year would that correspond to??

7. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I think he said he would prefer it didn't stay clean at gig levels, but maybe I missed something.

8. ala02c

ala02c Member

exactly, would a 65-67 bassman head break up at gig volumes?

9. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Absolutely! All my Bassman heads (2xBlondes and 2xBF) start to breakup around 3 on the volume. Bassman's are not the best choice for headroom, IMO.

10. ala02c

ala02c Member

sounds perfect! BF it is!

11. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

12. Roe

Roe Member

a 6g6 may work

13. scott1568

scott1568 Member

If you know of someone who has a non open back cab, (Marshall for example), put the volume up to 6 or 7 and prepare yourself....