Which BD-2 mod do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Hamer95USA, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hello fellow Gear page members,

I recently bought a used Boss BD-2 pedal for $40.00. I tried out different settings and find the tone control limited (kind of bright) and the gain sort of fuzzy. I really like the way the pedal has a good strong level for boost, can be set up as either for clean boost or for low to medium gain overdrive and I'm considering having it modified. I'm considering either the Analogman BD-2 Super mod or the Keeley BD-2 Phat mod for my pedal. Does anyone who owns one or has played one can offer their opinions and experience with these mods? Your input is greatly appreciated.

Guitar George

2. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

I owned the keeley at one time. I just did the same thing...bought one on ebay for 40 bucks. A buddy of mine swears he prefers his Blues drivers stock...so I'm going to try mine that way first...just back the tone knob down and don't run the gain all the way up and they sound great...just my 2 cents...:BITCH

3. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

I have the Keeley and it is better in every way: more usable gain range (clean to thick od); more usable tone; more pleasant overdrive (not as harsh, more musical). With humbuckers, my Keeley BD-2 Phat mod gives a great Warren Haynes tone--tone around 10 o'clock, gain around 1-2 o'clock, volume to taste..

4. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

5. ungarn

ungarn Member

I had an Indyguitarist Brent Mason mod BD-2. It had a more HiFi tone, improved bass response, and was MUCH more sensitive to guitar volume and pick attack compared to stock. If you like the BD-2, this mod definitely makes it better. I ultimately sold the pedal because I did not really like the distortion/breakup/drive...a little too raspy and fizzy compared to a British type.

Good luck!

6. Wooley

Wooley Member

Better in every way than the stock or the Analogman?

BTW, Analog Mike does acknowledge that the stock BD-2 is pretty good before mods, for those of you who are trying it out that way first.

7. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

Sorry, I meant better than the stock BD-2. I have never tried Analog Man's BD-2 mod, but I am sure it sounds great.

8. mbutler

mbutler Member

I just finished doing the Monte Allums H2O mod to my BD-2. It definitely helps with the overall tone, and cleans up really nice when you back down your guitar's volume, but to me, the gain is still basically unusable if it's past 12 o'clock. Real raspy and splatty like a fuzz. That's not a criticism of Monte's mod, it's just the nature of that pedal. If used like a clean to mild gain boost, it's pretty transparent and cool sounding. If I had to do it again though, I think Iwould just save my money until I could get a cooler pedal like a Zendrive or Timmy. One very quick and easy mod to help with the overall tone, is to just replace the capacitor thats right next to the tone pot. Use a .047uf or .022uf poly film cap and it will give you more lows and even out the overall tone. I actually prefer the sound of a modded SD-1. It's gain is smoother and more controlled.

9. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I highly recommend the Keeley BD-2 Phat mod. I know a lot of people don't like it compared to boutique OD's, but I have put it up against a few and I always come back to it. I always want to like the new pedals I get more, but my ears just won't let me take it off my board. I think I might put the Keeley BD2 into a plain silver MXR box so I would respect it more. :)

10. playon

playon Supporting Member

+1 His mods are tops.

11. madsr

madsr Member

I have a keeley phat modded bd-2 and I love it.. so much so that I recently sold off a menatone fish factory, a menatone howie, a cot50, also had an HBE power screamer, zvex sho, ts9dx, the keeley bd-2 has the tone I've been searching for since my quest began.. in fact I liked it so much that I got a keeley ts 808 with the 1982 jrc chip and that is fantastic as well, they compliment each other very nicely

12. Unburst

Unburst Member

I have a stock and Keeley modded BD-2, I like them both for different things.

The stock one is nice for Fender type O/D but only with the tone below 9 o'clock.

Keeley is more versatile, cleans up well and has a better range of gain but doesn't do the spanky crunch of the original.

13. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

+1 for the Monte Allums mod, if you want it done for you check out Chad Matthews at CMATMODS.

14. Old Believer

Old Believer Member

Gotta go with the Keeley modded BD-2. I love the tone of mine. It can also be used as a clean boost.

15. EBGB

EBGB Member

I do too. I place them in series and sometimes use both together.

Unmodded-- think more in the Albert Collins direction
    Modded-- a bit more Allman Bros.

i think the unmodded is a little more Marshally-- Don't underestimate it.

16. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

This is like my favorite od right now. I got one here on the gp through a trade and am super happy with it. I had my friend Nate at Bumbox amps mess with it and he messed with the tone knob, making it actually work for a change. I see what people are saying about it when it was stock, and since I don't run the drive past 9 o' clock, it works out great for me.

17. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

i love my keeley bd-2

dunno bout AM's

18. Rollo Timbre

Rollo Timbre Member

I've been curious about Analogman's BD-2 mod. I really liked his DS-1 mod in that it retains everything good about the pedal, but improves everything that's bad. I like the stock BD-2, and I'm hoping Analogman's mod will make it that much better.

19. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

I got my UNMODDED Blues driver ...I previously had a modded one. Man I tell ya...the blues driver is one of the best pedals out there...and I mean the unmodded version. Clean boost yep it's there...crunch if ya want it...run it into a good tube amp and you can dial in just about anything from blues to classic rock.

I'm starting the think the modded pedal thing is a bunch of hogwash...I mean if ain't broke why fix it...

this is one pedal that ain't broke....hey I know the pedal mod guys got to pay their light just like the next guy...so if your into that sort of thing go for it...but let's face it...tone is in the hands....:Spank

20. Franklin

Franklin Member

Well good tone is obviously subjective, and every rig takes pedals differently, but I must dissagree. I've bought and tried many BD2s, Tube Screamers and other Boss pedals like th SD1 and the DS1. I brought back every one that I bought because they were horrible sounding -to me. Then came the modded ones, they sound much better. I've run many side by side comparisons of stock vs modded, the modded one wins out every time.

That's my opionion. Also my opinion -"tone in the hands" only goes so far as picking style and technique. ;)