Which Big Box DMM to get?...

leighianson

Supporting Member
So I’m looking to get a big box memory man and have heard conflicting information about which versions have the magic. At this point most of the big box versions are roughly the same price so just trying to figure out which one would suit me.

I obviously want that beautiful modulated echo that’s not too dark but I also don’t want to overload the input with gain pedals (which apparently some versions are known to do). I’m also not really looking for any slap back type echoes as I have other pedals for that. Which version do you think is the best to get given these requirements? Thanks

Buck Woodson

Supporting Member
I got the wall wart big box DMM and its sound is great in every way. Replacement power supply chords are available whereas it's hard to find techs willing to work on internal power supply issues.

My only issue with any big box DMM is the limitation of short delay times. Bill the amp tech at Austin Vintage Guitar did a great job on mine internally modding it for longer delay times.

monkeybrains

I got a 90s reissue with the pointy knobs, no mods. My favourite delay. I havent had any other dmm to compare.

leighianson

Supporting Member
Thanks for the responses. I’m beginning to feel like there’s probably no ‘best’ version and they all have their pros and cons which suit some more than others

chromewaves

I've got the 90s version with the pointy knobs, love it save a couple things - the bypass (mine is not modded) doesn't do unity gain between bypass and effect; it's always a little quieter when on no matter where I set it. I get around this with a true bypass loop box. Second, I top out at 365ms which is not as long as I'd like. I think the current ones do 550ms. Were the older ones ever specced that long?

In any case, despite its limitations I love how it sounds. would be frustrated if it were my only delay, though.

stratpaulguy86

Supporting Member
No dog in this fight, as I just recently sold my very last one...but all of the old big box DMMs have the magic.

monkeybrains

I've got the 90s version with the pointy knobs, love it save a couple things - the bypass (mine is not modded) doesn't do unity gain between bypass and effect; it's always a little quieter when on no matter where I set it. I get around this with a true bypass loop box. Second, I top out at 365ms which is not as long as I'd like. I think the current ones do 550ms. Were the older ones ever specced that long?

In any case, despite its limitations I love how it sounds. would be frustrated if it were my only delay, though.
Yes the bypass signal is definitly coloured I dont switch mine off though - not because the footswitch is broken, which it is. But because it sounds so awesome

bean

Supporting Member
If you can find one, the DMM with (4) SAD1024 is a freaking beast. I forget exactly which version that one is but I have one and it slays. It is not clean analog delay.

stagolee

Silver Supporting Member
Aren’t there some non-mn3005 versions out there? Those would not be the same tier, obviously.

The only other thing I came across when doing similar research was a contingent that considered the later true bypass versions to be avoided. Then I subsequently came across a contingent that prefers TB because they don’t like the preamp and don’t want to put it in a loop.

Seems like they are all catching up to each other in terms of value premium, but it’s quite volatile.

whateverdude

Silver Supporting Member
I have the attached cord late 90’s version non true bypass. I have other versions, this current one needs no mods, it sounds perfect the way it is. I wish it had more delay time, that’s all.

tinkercity

Supporting Member
90's to 2000's RI's are the ones. Either attached power cord or wall wort versions. They usually all need to be true bypassed to perform correctly on a modern pedalboard, if you don't need it on a board don't mess with it though.

They are very sensitive to impedance and you'll get lower volumes if a pedal that shifts impedance is right before it, like the Chasetone Secret Preamp for one example. They can be noisy, unreliable and downright garbage if they're not tuned correctly. Analogman has a great service setup for the big box DMM's. All that said, there's nothing like the magical shimmer of the vibrato on the repeats.

Find yourself a good one and never sell it! Oh and the white noise, sometimes referred to as "pouring sand" on the repeats is just a part of the tone. It's the clock noise from the BBD chips. Some have more and some have less, which is helped by getting it tuned up.

The attached power cord ones tend to sound a little bit better IMHO, but do tend to have a little higher noise floor.

Jim Marciano

Supporting Member
i don't have a dmm yet but I'm considering the xo because of the 24v it runs at and possibly getting a few analogman mods in the future, i have seen them as low as 150-160

zhivago

I have a great one from the 2000s with the detachable power supply, sounds incredible...in fact I bought a second one as it's so, so good. It will live on my other board. :cool:

mikey69

I have the current issue Deluxe Memory Man and I dig it a lot and have no intensions to ever replace it, definitely has a nice warm delay tone that sits perfectly under the notes, if you are OK with 500 mms of delay then I think its a safe bet and a good starting point.

Shnobel tone on YT has a lot of compassions videos of the different models /variants:

also here's a nice article from reverb;

https://reverb.com/news/thanks-for-the-memories-man-evolution-of-the-legendary-analog-delay

Grendel2000

i don't have a dmm yet but I'm considering the xo because of the 24v it runs at and possibly getting a few analogman mods in the future, i have seen them as low as 150-160
I've been thinking about those too. So hard to know though since some claim those modded XO's "have the mojo" and others say NO.

nowhere

I've had three reissues: the early AC powered model and two wall-wart powered ones. They all had pointy knobs and ca,e in wooden boxes. I like the true bypass and when I had the non-true bypass I used to leave it in a loop through a homemade bypass box. I thought they all sounded pretty much the same - and about the same as the vintage model a friend of mine had that I borrowed for a while. To me the main thing that sets the DMM apart from the other analog delays I like is the tone (sharper and cleaner somehow, and sometimes that can be nice) and the way the first repeat is at quite a high level relative to the signal you feed into it. That makes it fantastic for when you want to play against the delayed sound rhythmically e.g. old U2. On the other hand I prefer my mushier sounding delays when I really want to lay on the echo thick. The Way Huge EchoPuss has been my favorite for several years now when I want to do that and get nice shimmering modulated delay.

But the DMM is going to be with me as long as I keep playing. It is special.

J-Flanders

Second, I top out at 365ms which is not as long as I'd like. I think the current ones do 550ms. Were the older ones ever specced that long?
Going by the schematic and doing the math (timing cap, resistor, clock frequency),
or
Going by the actual components used (big box or XO),
or
Going by the time between repeats that people have measured in a DAW,
you should expect a max delay time, somewhere around 400ms.

365ms is definitely on the low side. 385ms to 395ms is more common as far as low figures go.
(The upside is that you'll probably also have a lower minimum delay time which should give a(n even) better vibrato mode)

Without mods it will never be 550ms, not even close.

Why it's advertised as 550ms I still have no idea.
Also see this thread about the max delay time:
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...an-a-deluxe-memory-man-ever-be-550ms.2093566/

MagicNelson

Supporting Member
The big box DMM is my favorite delay. Currently have a pointy knob version with external power supply and Analogman Mods (minus true bypass). Before getting it modded, the buffer did something special to my tone that I didn’t want to lose. But after having the impedance and gain tweaks done, it’s not the same. That said, the volume drop and dulling of tone is real, even after mods. I still love the pedal so much that I bought an EQD Tone Job to pair with it in a TB loop to help correct the volume drop and tone changes when engaged. Works great!

Trending Topics