Which blackface Fender for jazz?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 98FlySupreme, Jun 8, 2006.

1. 98FlySupreme

98FlySupreme Member

Obviously I want headroom, first and foremost, so I guess that translates into higher wattage. But I'm thinking that 40 watts might give enough clean headroom for the volume I need. I've read that a lot of old jazz records used a DR, but that maybe a Vibroverb would be a better choice with the 15 (not that I can really afford one). What about the Pro Reverb for jazz? It seems to be the most affordable and some say the best sounding of all.

2. Roach

Roach Supporting Member

The Twin is always a good choice for Jazz...lots of headroom. I think you'd like a Vibroverb. Might want to consider making one from a Bandmaster reverb head. Put a twin power tranny, make sure you have a good cap job, find a JBL 15", or perhaps one of Weber's fine speakers, and it'll sound great (did just that myself). For lower wattage blackface, a Pro Reverb may be a better choice than a deluxe. One man's opinion only. Good luck!

3. Jose Luis Garci

Jose Luis Garci Member

If you don't have problems with the weight and/or the prize, go for a Twin Reverb
    Even for playing at a low volume, IMO, this is the jazz sound :AOK

4. 98FlySupreme

98FlySupreme Member

How many bones would it take to touch a Vibroverb in decent condition? I was thinking Twin too, but 80 pounds is a back breaker.

5. Jose Luis Garci

Jose Luis Garci Member

Yes, in my case I bought a little table with wheels ...:YinYang

6. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

A blackface Vibrolux Reverb with a pair of old Jensen C10N's or Vibranto's.

7. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

Here's my Vibroverb repro with a 60's JBL D130 . With a solid or hollowbody guitar with a humbucker in the neck position, it's jazz tone all the way.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. randy morser

randy morser Member

You won't usually find Jazz gigs that will let you play loud enough to turn a Twin up loud enough to make it speak. Shy away from those. The Vibolux would be a great choice. The Deluxe Reverb would be another one. If you don't need reverb, a plain Deluxe would be good too. The Vibrolux and the Vibroverb would be ideal, I think.
    Randy

9. myles111

myles111 Member

The folks that said Twin reverb ... I agree. It has always been a standard.

10. Dana

Dana Guest

I used a Deluxe Reverb for years with no problem. Great cleans for low volume restaurant gigs. I play Jazz and Rock so it's great when things get loud and the amp starts breaking up.

11. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

I have all of those amps ( except a Vibroverb ) and have played jazz gigs live with each one. My favorite is the Pro Reverb. Deluxes and Vibroluxes are great sounding amps but generally not enough clean headroom to use with a drummer for straight ahead jazz. Twin Reverbs have a "stiffeness" to the power supply and are so damn heavy. They need to be turned up to 3 or 4 to get into their "tone zone" which is too loud for some situations.

The Pro Reverb has all the big warm jazz tone you want and is a little easier on the back. I often use a Deluxe reverb too but I have mine set up with a cleaner speaker for more headroom. I use the DR more out of convenience for it's size and weight-the Pro Reverb is the best sounding Fender I own for jazz. These amps are still way undervalued in the market IMO.

Dan

12. steve rowen

steve rowen Member

Got two Blackface Pro Reverbs, one with stock trannies and mid 60's C12N's, and one with a Bassman output tranny and Emmie's from a Red Knob Twin. The second has most of the headroom of a Blackface Twin, with a more open sound due to the tube rectifier. The other great choice is an Ampeg Gemini II or VI. These Fenders and Ampegs are my favorite.
    Steve Rowen

13. flicker180

flicker180 Member

any love for a Blonde Bassman? :)

dave

14. AL30

AL30 Member

I agreee with Steve Rowen and humbly recommend an Ampeg from the same era.

AL

15. JamesO

JamesO Member

Granted, I don't know MUCH abouth which fender amps have certain characteristics, but I DID play through a vibrolux with 15" speaker about two months ago, and it was so incredibly warm and clean. It was warmer than the twin I played next to it. These can each be strengths and weaknesses. I like warm though.

16. Don L

Don L Member

Pro Reverb for me too.