Which Blues Jr?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by edcat, Apr 12, 2015.

1. edcat

edcat Supporting Member

Looking for a Blues Jr. and am a little confused with the different descriptions. There's Hot Rod, NOS, iii and Limited Edition. Are any of these one and the same? Which one is most desireable?

2. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

I believe they're all the same circuit. The difference is in the tolex and the speaker.

3. Scott L

Scott L Gold Supporting Member

Different speakers in the different models

4. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Some minor improvements in the III, but in general they're all the same. The NOS and Humboldt versions have some different tubes. Older versions have the "cream board versus the green board" and some folks prefer one over the other. At the end of the day, the cabinet size is the Blues Jr's downfall. The best BJr is the Custom Shop "two tone" with a 10" and 12" speaker in a larger pine cabinet. Major sound improvement out of a standard US made BJr chassis.

5. modernp

modernp Member

I have used the green board ones over the cream boards. Just has a better tone the one I have now I put an ev12l in it had to reverse the baffle to do it but no more boxy sound to it. Great little open jam amp I use the half gainer with it and it has tone for days.

6. Johnny2013

Johnny2013 Member

They are all hot rod. Thats the line of fender amps that includes the hot rod deluxe, pro jr, etc. the nos and all the different limited editions just have different speakers and coverings. One thing im not clear on though is if the nos is the same circuit as the current BJ III or the earlier version, as it has the chrome under the knobs like the old version

7. rsm

rsm Member

I dig my Fender Deco Tone version; it was a Custom Shop model, does not sound boxy to me FWIW. Has a single 12".

8. gmann

gmann Member

I have a Humbolt Hot Rod, nothing special about those tubes. It does however have a Cannibis Rex speaker and that is the appeal for me. It's noticeably louder, the bottom end holds together really well, no flub, and the hemp cone smooths out the top end, not harsh at all.

9. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

The III has a little less congestion in the mids by design.

10. Johnny2013

Johnny2013 Member

I had one of these and it was nice. That speaker is REALLY loud.

11. BigSB

BigSB Member

Cheaper, US-built, bomb-proof alternative: Crate Palomino V16. The cream-colored-Tolex one.

Celestion speaker, exact same control layout as the Blues Jr including the "fat" (called Boost on the Crate) button.

I've owned a Version 1 and a Version 2 of the Junior, and have played through several Version 3... the Palomino goes pee on all of them. Can be found for under $300 all the time because of the lack of "oooh" factor in the brand name.

12. KissTone

KissTone Supporting Member

If it has to be a BJr, find a Humboldt. That speaker makes a huge difference.

13. Kitten Cannon

Kitten Cannon Member

The problem is that all of the different versions are still Blues Juniors.

14. southpaw pete

southpaw pete Member

Yeah, go for the Humboldt with the Cannabis Rex...
    Or, you can do like I did, and buy a standard version and then switch out the stock speaker for a C Rex. It really does make a big difference!

15. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

I agree. Best EQ pairing, some volume increase.