Which Boogie has the Fender cleans for under $1000 on the aftermarket?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by james..., Jul 7, 2019.

1. james...

james... Supporting Member

I've been looking at the Electradyne, the Lonestar, the 5:25, Nomad, you name it. I've only ever played a Lonestar. I only had about an hour with it and wasn't exactly floored. I think it may not have been dialed in right. Who knows.

2. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

The 5:50 may be what you are looking for.

sjruvolo likes this.
  3. BoneSaw

BoneSaw Supporting Member

Mark v:25 has some sweet cleans. You can find a used one for around a grand.

zweston and Lef T like this.
  4. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

5. Northerner

Northerner Member

Blue Angel
    Great sounding amp that can be had for $700 or so.

Unadan, David MacNeill and Alton like this.
  6. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

Local music store said a Blue Angel 4x10 trade value is $400.

7. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

Find a nice clean vintage Mark iiB. I got mine for $900. Wood cabinet, cane grill, EMV 12L, quad set of STR-415s and an extra black tolex cabinet to boot. Greatest value in vintage amps!

8. MESA/BUDDA

MESA/BUDDA Member

9. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

does it have to be a boogie? i think my studio 22+ has some great fendery cleans but i am not sure mesa would always be my first choice for fendery cleans. have you tried any riveras? there are many in your price range (used) that do great fender cleans on the clean channel and marshally drive on the lead channel. i had a knucklehead 55 and m60 that were really great at this. both were well under $1k used.

smolder and MkIIC+ like this.
  10. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

They will sell it for 600-800.

buddaman71 and Tommy_G like this.
  11. MattC

MattC Member

People attribute “Fender cleans” to many Mesas over the years. I’ve owned a lot of Boogies, and none have had “Fender cleans.” I think a lot of folks tend to describe any nice clean tone as a “Fender clean.” In fact, I think “Fender clean” is one of the biggest misnomers in describing the tone of a particular amp. Boogies are often quick to get this label because of their fender lineage and because most of their amps have a dedicated clean channel of some sort.

With Boogies, even the very nicest cleans tend to be a little spikier and forward sounding than a Fender. The Lonestar is the closest I’ve heard, so if you didn’t like those cleans, you might want to think about other brands for this particular sound. If you must have a Boogie, the Mark V 90, Maverick, and Blue Angel are the next best cleans I’ve heard after the LS.

12. Revelation

Revelation Member

I agree the LoneStar is the closest. Regarding the Express 50, it has the 6L6 tubes which is closer to Fender vs the smaller Express with the EL84's. However both have a tighter forward mid character. I don't use my Boogie Express much these days unless I want to rock out more. Otherwise I am always on my Fender Twin.

13. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

then they'll flip it for 800.

But they take the risk. Trade value and sell value are two different things.

The BA is a great amp BTW.

14. majorminor

majorminor Silver Supporting Member

Yep. That term "Fender Clean" gets thrown around too much when describing Mesa amps. I think think the best Mesa cleans come from the Lone Star Classic and the Electradyne and even then those cleans are a little stiff and lacking in harmonic content when compared to say an actual 6L6 Fender Super Reverb or Vibrolux etc.

15. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

:agree

NortheastHick likes this.
  16. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

Yes.. but it means you can get screaming deals in the privatemarket.
    Yes.. I have a 4x10 BA that I paid $375 for.... :) it needed a few preamp tubes replaced and the local music stores werent offering much for it.

I guess what I am saying is that because these are the UnBoogie and are quite good amps it is possible to get them for quite a good buy... anything needing minor tech work like scratchy pots or tube replacements just bring the price down hard and fast.

17. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Probably best non-mark boogie ever if you ask me. The maverick in a close heat with it.
    Killer amps.

Stupid deal ever pops up in front of me on a 1x12 when I've got $$ burning a hole in my pocket and it would be a done deal.

18. BSOD

BSOD Supporting Member

Mark I Reissue

redchapterjubilee likes this.
  19. musicman10_1

musicman10_1 Supporting Member

Interesting observations in this thread about Mesa cleans being compared to Fender cleans. I've owned a .50 Cal+ and a Mark IV. Both had good cleans; I think their hallmark was that they had big headroom and plenty of punch. The more that I learn about amps and how to use them, the less I'd say that those tones were "Fender(y)." They were good, but did not possess the same character as what I think of as Fender clean tones.

20. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

Circuits are vitually identical.. but Mesa pairs these amps with very different speakers than Fender... icky MC90s usually.

ProfRhino likes this.