Which Boogie has the Fender cleans for under $1000 on the aftermarket?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by james..., Jul 7, 2019.

1. Senor Forum

Senor Forum Gold Supporting Member

Having been a BF guy off and on for like 20 years, I can definitely say with confidence that my Lone Star Classic is as class as I have heard a Boogie get. Got my 1x12 Combo for just a hair over $1,000.

2. musicman10_1

musicman10_1 Supporting Member

Fascinating. I wonder if the 1x12 cab of my Boogies (in addition to the speaker) played a big role. The Boogies always seemed a bit boxey sounding when I was using the cleans.

3. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

Tubes, iron and power supply filtering (firmer harder cleans) also play a role.. but yes.. the 1x12 cab dimensions esoecially the 12" deep cabinets seem to augment a lower frequency than fenders.

4. mikebat

mikebat Member

$375 for a BA 410....dude....that is a steal. Congrats!

5. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

Which Fender clean? Tweed? Brown/blonde? BF/SF? Hot Rod?
    The Filmores are supposedly a Tweed platform. I have also played a couple Blue Angels and Lone Stars and found them to be more on the Fender side of the Boogie continuum (with the other end being the more British Mesas like the Rectifiers, TAs, etc...)
    As far as BF/SF cleans go, the Mark Series are based on that platform. Seems as the Mark numbers get higher, the more they are voiced with the Boogie signature, mid forward, focused punch. My 100W MKIIA gets darn close to Fender clean, as far as the sound coming from the pre and power amp is concerned. It's like a hard hitting, bold SF Twin.
    Speakers and cabinet choices will get you closer to Fender than Boogie's offerings. Jensens in a combo sized, open back cab will give the proper Fender voicing. My MKIIA is a 1x12" combo with an EVM12L, which is very Boogie.

Snottyboy and ProfRhino like this.
  6. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

unless you play them through identical cabs, with the same tubes, you basically know nothing.
    Mk I & II can get amazingly close to Fender, so do Heartbreaker, 6L6 Lonestar & Angel, with the proper setup.
    every Fender sounds different as well ...
    just saying,
    Rhino

redchapterjubilee likes this.
  7. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

:beer

bigtone23 and Wyzard like this.
  8. De Batz

De Batz Member

I think the Heartbreaker gets close, having compared mine to a SF Showman. Available fairly cheap just about everywhere, as well.

This, basically. For me, it's all about the 4x10 for the Super Reverb vibe.

ProfRhino likes this.
  9. caspergomez

caspergomez Member

which is one of the truly great fender sounds, for sure. and I might add that a full compliment of cts alnico's add to the fun.

ProfRhino and De Batz like this.
  10. caspergomez

caspergomez Member

btw, for the OP... I have had good luck with a number of boogies copping vibes from the fender camp. for example right now I have a lonestar special and I can run that amp into my 4x10 cab with weber 10a125 and 10f125 speakers and get a believable fender vibe from it. And that amp uses el84 power tubes, so nothing about that amp (on paper) should lend itself to getting "fendery" but it surely can.

11. Jimmy_Rage

Jimmy_Rage Member

I wouldn't describe them as Fender cleans, but the Mesa Boogie cleans are pretty damn good.

Under $1000, I think you can score a Mark V:25. It is a pretty loud amp and the cleans are really great.

12. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

Totally. I use an F-30 once in a while when playing fairs and festivals and it does have a great, Fenderish clean sound.

13. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

None. Some get close...an F-series with an EQ pedal in the loop is probably the budget option, but still not quite. Mark V:35, also close but not exactly right.

I've owned/had direct experience with half a dozen Mesa/Boogies, from vintage to current, they all do the "Mesa clean" thing to varying degrees. Though, speaker choice I'm sure changes things plenny.

14. Wyzard

Wyzard Member

This: I've owned almost every Mk from IIA to IVB, and the IIAs are IMO the most Fender-like. In fact, they replaced my b/f Twin Reverbs and s/f Dual Showman a long time ago - amps which I was already using with first Celestions and then latterly EVs, in an effort to fill out the mid-scoop.

MkIIAs come with a juiced mid that you can dial back somewhat with speaker choice and loop-ology, should you so wish. I've always preferred to use them as pumped blackfaces with a chunk of added "attitude". I stick with the clean channel these days, and push up the gain as needed: so I tend not to use the lead channel very much at all.

15. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

This is exactly what I have found, too. My MKIIA has the graphic EQ, a little extra scoop on the 240Hz and a touch of scoop on the 750Hz and it's Fenderville. As Wyzard mentioned, the dirt channel is rarely used by him and me, too. I have later revision Mark Boogies for the goods regarding the dirt channel. The MKIIA is all about the clean channel, and what a great clean channel it is. It easily surpasses the clean channels on my IIC+ and III.

Snottyboy, Wyzard and ProfRhino like this.
  16. Airoz

Airoz Member

The Electradyne has an incredible clean channel, I have one and it’s a thing of beauty, the spring reverb is also more useful than a lot of other Boogies, just remember when playing with it that the treble knob acts as a crossfade that feeds signal into the other knobs, so if you have the treble dimmed, your middle and bass wont do much.

It’s also one of the hardest mesa amps to sell, at least I’ve been trying to sell mine in Mexico for a year (too loud + I’ve never gigged with it because 4x12’s are just not reasonable in most environments) and I’m not even close to doing so, you can probably find a great deal out there

17. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

one thing that seems to be often misunderstood about Boogies - the mid control.
    it's in the manuals, but who rtfm these days ? :omg
    all those different letters, and not even alphabetically sorted ... :facepalm

as a rule, the mid control is fully open around 9 o'clock give or take - the rest of the travel adds a pretty substantial mid boost.
    mids @ CCW or slightly above is a fully legit setting, and a hard requirement for F-cleans.
    same for the 1st (clean) volume pot - better keep it between 4 & 6 (ish) for best cleans.
    obviously this goes against those trademark fat high gain leads, but who said early Marks were full-on channel switchers ?
    this only really got better with the IV, at the expense of basic tone (imho).

finally that graphic EQ - it's a very different animal than the tone stack. due to its position late in the path it merely EQs the finished preamp signal - no secrets there. :dunno
    the gain pot and tone stack on the other hand drastically change the amount of midrange running through the entire preamp, thus changing the compression and sag at different frequencies just as much as the proper EQ spectrum.

so take all these factors, add tubes, cab and speakers (112 C90 - yuck !) to the equation, and it's easy to see where the myth of the mid-heavy Boogie cleans comes from.
    this is not my experience at all - but then, I also prefer the Mk I clean channel (cranked) for Santana style single note tones, so what do I know ? :nuts

lol,
    old Marks can be a lot of things, if you ask them nicely !
    ymmv,
    Rhino

redchapterjubilee and Wyzard like this.
  18. David MacNeill

David MacNeill Supporting Member

Simple: TransAtlantic anything.

19. Snottyboy

Snottyboy Member

IIA clean channel is the closest of several I've tried. I came to Boogies from BF/SF Fenders, btw. Still, the Boogie is its own thing...mid-juiced (thanks @Wyzard), bold and immediate, yet retains dynamic clarity from all frequency ranges...really beautiful and inspiring. I have a JBL-D120F in my combo and pair it with a same era open-back Boogie cab with an EVM-12L.

ProfRhino and Wyzard like this.
  20. Teleplayer

Teleplayer New Mods On The Block Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mesa Maverick 1x12 combo on Channel 1. Your search will be over. Under a grand.

I'm not even a Mesa fan, but I have owned a couple Maverick 1x12s - and currently have one. Extremely portable amps with great clean tones. And Channel 2 is very usable - it can be used/tamed with the right tubes and spending time dialing in the amount of drive/distortion you want.

Amp has tube (GZ34/5AR5)/SS rectifier option. Simple tone controls and easy to dial in overall.

HUGE bang for the buck. Find one; you'll thank me later.