Which boost is most similar to a beano boost?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MaxLikesMilk, Feb 18, 2015.

1. MaxLikesMilk

MaxLikesMilk Member

Which boost is the most similar to a beano? And EP booster? I ordered a Sunface recently and I want a boost to go with it like the SunLion. I can't afford a real beano boost right now, but I can afford somthing like an EP booster or soul food. What do you think I should try?

2. gillibi

gillibi Member

Look for a used HBE Germania

3. mike6m

mike6m Supporting Member

gillibi's suggestion is good. You have to keep in mind that you are looking for a Treble Booster, not just a booster. The beano works well with the sunface because it's an uncompressed boost that doesn't increase the bass frequencies where a fuzzface can get flabby.

4. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

Any treble booster should do. The BEano is Rangemaster based and there is no shortage of Rangemaster clones going for a song on ebay. My favorite treble booster is Lumpy's SLPre. It's not rangemaster based but it is pretty awesome.

I did have a Beano for a long time but for how much I used it and what they sold for, it turned into $$.

5. midwayfair

midwayfair Member

You could also put a WTB on a DIY board for someone's Rangemaster build. It's one of the most popular DIY builds out there; you might even be able to build one yourself if you have any experience with a soldering iron.

Note that the Beano costs what it does because it's point-to-point construction with period-accurate transistors made by a well-respected company with a reputation for quality. If you save up for a used or new one, it will retain its value in a way that some others may not in case you decide not to buy it.

The EP booster is absolutely nothing like it: A Rangemaster is a germanium transistor and designed to distort and load the guitar pickups, creating a huge boost centered at 1KHz with a steep treble rolloff thereafter. The EP booster is JFETs, high bandwidth (to the point some people think it sounds scooped), and even with the high and low cut switches on, will not create a midrange peak anything remotely like what comes out of a treble booster.

6. NewDr.P

NewDr.P Member

mr lumpy himself said the slpre is not a treblebooster in a traditional sense like the OP is looking for.

7. MaxLikesMilk

MaxLikesMilk Member

Update: I ordered an SLpre.