Which Boost Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Sammy, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Sammy

Sammy Member

After doing a lot of research last year and with the help of this forum I put my name down on an Anologman King of Tone Pedal Jan 2005.
    Its now over a year and on recently contacting them again I found they have only just got a new guy in to start building them again, so I am going to have to wait at least another 6months before they finally get to mine, as they have a year backlog.

Anyway I can't put up with my Carl Martin Hot Drive & Boost anymore so need to get a pedal now while I wait for my K.O.T.

Any suggestions I would like a double pedal as per my Carl Martin & the K.O.T. with clean boost one side and overdrive the other, but don't want to spend too much as it will be an infill until the K.O.T. is ready, so maybe will have to go just for a clean boost for now.

Xotic RC seems to have a good feedback here and they are actually importing them to the UK, I can get one for £129.00.
    Fulltone Fatboost also springs to mind. What do you guys think would be best, also considering I will not be able to try any out, being in the UK, before I buy.

Or are there any new double pedals since come on the market which are as good or better than the K.O.T.?

Many thanks

Sammy

2. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Fulltone Fatboost is a great boost with single coils. I mean, it's Klon like phat. They sell for cheap used and are pretty easy to unload. Bad Bob is a nice gooser but it's not as beefy as the Fatboost, which might be your thing. RC pedal is a great boost if you dig an articulate hi-fi tone.

The Fulldrive II is an easy pickup on the used market and always unloads pretty quick {if the price is right}. It's a classic pedal. Lots of players are cashing in their old units to grab the annie model, so deals galore on fleabay. Here, too. The flat mids/comp cut switch is the one to own. It does color your sound but the comp cut mode is pretty transparent if you play it loud enough and the double pedal/boost side works well and is easy to set and use. Plenty of gain and lots of sounds. Not my favorite OD, but on my long list. Fer sure.

3. TimH

TimH Member

yeah I'm one of those few that just didn't "get" the RC booster. I mean I understand it but I'm not an articulate hi-fi tone guy. I think my next boost will be a fat boost.

4. Kingpin

Kingpin Member

The beauty of the RC Boost is you can use it's excellent EQ controls to make it as "hi-fi" or "lo-fi" sounding as you'd like. I like to dial out a bit of treble and bass to fatten my single-coils up.

5. T-bone

T-bone Member

I was not a fan of the Fat Boost-sounded congested and compressed

RC boost was cool and the EQ is nice

My current Fav is a Burriss Boostier-even set for no boost it just makes everything bigger-bass is tighter- my set of 10s sound like 13s.Very transparent. Me like.

6. gmanrickyt

gmanrickyt Member

I received an RAF Spitfire boost pedal from FXeng for Christmas and that thing sounds pretty damn fine! It really fattens things up. I use that in addition to a Keeley Fuzz Head, FD Mosfet and SHO.

Rick

http://fxeng.com/

7. brian marshall

brian marshall Member

Well, if it truely is something you will only use temporarilly and you want something in the lower price range get a used mxr micro boost.

I've never owned a real one, but have built one before.... They do their job.

8. The_Whale

The_Whale Member

DOD FX10 Bi-FET Preamp

MXR Micro Boost

9. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I adore my catalinbread super chile picoso. this lil demon gets overlooked way too much

10. AndreasG

AndreasG Member

A pedal I really enjoy is the RX Overdriver from Prescription Electronics. It goes from Clean Boost (lots of) straight up to Fuzz and makes single-colis sound HUGE!

Regarding the KOT, I heard lots of great things about it, and even some guys remarked that it was a clone of some sort of the original Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal, which you should get fairly easy in UK.
    But man, over a year wait for a pedal is insane, if not a shame, IMHO

11. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

12. Unburst

Unburst Member

The RC is a great eq/boost pedal, I use it for so many things, clean boost, eq, clean cut etc.

13. el34power

el34power Member

+1, great little unit.

14. radicool

radicool Member

I use a Bad Bob, which is not a "clean" boost per se, but a great pedal that makes everything sound better. It's great in front of other ODs. I also have a Keeley Sparkle Drive, which can be a super clean booster or a better than average tubescreamer, or any combination thereof, using the blend control.

15. Sammy

Sammy Member

Hi T-Bone,

Before I put my order in for the KOT I was looking at the tHe Burriss Boostiest which is pretty similar two in one pedal but hardly anyone at the time had tried them.

Obviously as you have the single Burriss Boostier you rate it better than the RC boost have you tried or heard the twin pedal and would it be as good as the KOT?

Sammy

16. Uchison

Uchison Member

Why not try the Katana Boost by Keeley? So far I've only read nice things about all of his pedals. And he really helpled me a lot when i had trouble with my java Boost....

17. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I use three pedals as boosters:

-Crowther Audio Hotcake: can be voiced with the presence knob, good for transparent clean boost all the way up to adding moderate dirt

-Tone Factor Hellbaby: An op-amp version of the Jack Orman JFET booster circuit (the switch to op-amp is for a smoother high end I was told)... it has a midrange boost and in addition to the volume knob, there is a boost knob that adds gain, but more like 'chunk' for the amp to chew on than a "finished product" type sound- this is a tool to work with your amp.

-Tone Factor Hellbilly: This is a germanium tranny pedal with a silicon output section to stabilize voltage or something. There is a tone knob that can take the circuitry from a fuzz face (bassy) sound at one extreme to a Rangemaster treble booster (treble-y, duh) at the other extreme.

All of these work best when the amp is getting turned up some and gets hit in the front end with one of these pedals, usually at a lower gain setting to overdrive the amp.

18. Sammy

Sammy Member

Never heard of these where can I find any info on them &/or any sound clips!

Thanks

19. Sammy

Sammy Member

Shane,

If they are similar pedals mean't to be doing the same thing why do you have both on your board? Obviously you have your reasons, so how do they compare and which in your opinion is best.

Sammy

20. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I change my mind all the time, it depends on how I feel. I this the Burriss is probably the best keeped secret out there, but the RC is down right beutiful Excpecially when on the road. I use both because the RC is at the begining to push overdrives and such, and the Burriss Boostier is at the end to refine the whole signal, the Burriss has higher inpedence so it works better at the end the the RC does. It has more headroom. I keep wishing that the RC had more headroom, I wish they would make a RC that runs internally at 18 volts then I would just use that. Keep in mind that the Timmy does all these same thing if wanted.

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL
    http://www.wetanimal.net