Which Boss DD2 has the "Big Chip"

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by -=solewheelin, Jul 23, 2008.

1. -=solewheelin

-=solewheelin Member

I have a non functioning DD2 that was given to me years ago.
    Due to the fact that I haven't ever played one, I'm wondering if its worth getting repaired and possibly modded.
    Is there a specific year they produced these pedals with a "big chip"?
    What mods can be done to max out this pedal?
    I cant find much info on this so any help would be appreciated.

2. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

Don't all dd2s have the big chip and some early MIJ dd3s?

3. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

Every last one of them. Its the dd3s that are worth checking. I personally dont think the big chip actually sounds better. Current DD3s are just as nice.

4. -=solewheelin

-=solewheelin Member

Thanks for the replies.
    Im going to send my DD2 (as well as my Dyna Comp) to JHS for repair/modding.
    If anyone has any recommendations in regards to this, please contact me.
    thx

5. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

this is excellent information . . .

http://analogman.com/dd5.htm

yes, it says dd5, but it has every darn thing in there.

fwiw, analogman ran a dm3 and a modded dd3 on his very own board until he introduced the ar20dl xl. the last time i saw a pic of his board, both the dm3 and dd3highcutmod were off. . .

meanwhile, keeley also does a high cut mod with the option of looping another pedal into the signal. read about it here:

http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=41

i personally have a 'big chip' dd3. . . which is basically just like a dd2. just like it.

i thought about the mods. . . and was not sure which direction to go, because i loved the idea of 'looping' another effect (modulation: phlange, chorus, phase) into the delayed signal. i figure it is about the closest you can get to a DMM (possibly the coolest sounding delay ever). however, you LOSE the option of running two signals from the pedal. . .

i ended up with the dd20. i run two amps in stereo. . . . so the dd20 is invaluable in my setup.

. . . still don't know which way i'd go if i was just going to mod the dd3. meanwhile, it sits on a shelf. can't let go of it. . . it was my first pedal. . .

best of luck.

6. sandman

sandman Member

weird thing is I just took the MIJ big chip DD-3 out of the box today for some fun...got a DD-20 as a multipurpose main delay...but, DD-3 sounds mighty good, giga delay's 'digital' mode can't compare...

I wouldn't mod it right away, it's a great sounding pedal - warmer than yr regular DD-3s...plus it self oscillates unlike modern DD-3s. In fact I'm gonna be using it as a special effect for stutters and stuff...no trails can be extremely useful for things like that.

Fix your DD-2 and enjoy.