Which "boutique" builders are offering amps in the $500-$600 range?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pickslide, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Hwoltage

Hwoltage Member

2. Night Prowler

Night Prowler Member

:huh You do, what?

3. Unabender

Unabender Member

I built my 18 watter for about $200 and I bought every part (including wood for cabinet, corners, paint and a carrying handle) needed from a store with a 22% VAT as a private person. Hammond iron, no fairy dust parts.

Of course if you want to buy $5 general hardware parts from a "guitar amp DIY store" for $15, then the costs rise.

EDIT: Oohhhh, forgot tubes. They are not included in the $200 estimate. Sorry.

4. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks Member

no need to get off topic. it's alright for the price. there are better amps used. that's all.

5. iamoraal

iamoraal Member

I just picked up a vintage Harmony 304A tube amp for $175. It's over 50 years old! It puts out about 5-8 watts and is sweet sounding.

6. WesKuhnley

WesKuhnley Member

I think the real question ought to be does the OP really want a "booteek" amp that costs $500-600? Any domestic builder than isn't cutting corners should have parts cost almost that high in a good boutique tube amp. Otherwise you're buying roughly the same quality goods as those made overseas, they're just not backed up by a giant company like Vox, Marshall or Fender.

7. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks Member

there are some boutiques that make lower priced amps.
    Especially if your looking for a tweedy/bf inspired sound. High gain channel switching is probably off the table but there are made in the united states builders making amps in the 500-600 dollar range. The used market has even more options.

New:
    http://www.valvetrainamps.com/VT-Retail-Price-List.pdf Valvetrain Concord at 499
    http://www.littledawgamps.com/prices.php Lil'dawg heads are mostly under 600
    The doctor z mini z is only a little over at 750.

Used:
    Fuchs Lucky 7
    Reason bambino

there aren't a ton of options but there are definitely options. The market really opens up past 1000 though.

8. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

that's a tight spread. Save up an extra $100 or so and you can be looking at new Reason Bambino, Winfield Amps, etc...

9. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

10. Ken Moon

Ken Moon Member

Randy Fay, of Phaez Amps, sells several very nice amps in that price range.

His name on YouTube is Ontariomaximus. I think he sells most of his amps on eBay.

Most of Randy's amps are not clones, but some are variants of existing designs. All true PTP wired, and his circuits are highly tweaked, with an experienced ear for what makes an amp sound good.

Randy's cosmetics may not match a $4k boutique amp, but his later models look nice, and are an awesome bang-for-the-buck buy.

11. Night Prowler

Night Prowler Member

You're right, I 'm new here and don't want to cause any trouble or hijack this thread. But I just bought my HT5 from Musicians Friend and can easily return it. I think that's what I'm going to do. It was an impulse buy without doing much research. I'm going to look into the other suggestions in this thread, a lot of good recommendations. A couple hundred more than what the HT5 cost me and I think I'll have a much better amp. I really like the Luker Tiger, too bad it has no MV. Wouldn't a MV allow you to overdrive the amp at lower volumes?

12. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Find a used Egnater Rebel 20 or 30....fantastic amps...or a Tweaker!!