Which bridge Duncan for a 2011 Les Paul 50's tribute sound?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fechart, Oct 20, 2015.

1. fechart

fechart Member

I loved the bridge pup of a friend's Les Paul from that year. He told me it was a 50's tribute. The guitar has no lacquer, just a natural finish.

I think it has a normal Alnico II Gibson pup, but not sure... I never owned a les paul, but I have an all mahogany Dean waiting for a pickup like that.

Must be Duncan. In my country you haven't much more options...

2. saf_1

saf_1 Member

Must be a Duncan?? '59? Alnico Pro II, maybe? Pearly Gates? Sounds like you are looking for a medium output PAF type, although the pickup you heard - if a stock Gibson - was probably a ceramic magnet type, not an Alnico II. Duncan makes so many models... but I might go with one of those I listed. Your description is kind of vague, as there are so many things that could factor into the tone you heard/are looking for.

fechart likes this.
  3. Ray

Ray Member

I believe that 50's Tribute came with a 498T Hot Alnico V. Don't know what Duncan pickup would match, but you can try to match specs.

4. TrevorW

TrevorW Supporting Member

I would try a Duncan JB. If you liked the 498t you'll love the JB and its a great pickup for mahogany body guitar.

5. fechart

fechart Member

[​IMG]

That's the guitar. The bridge pickup has not a lot of output, but it has a lot of definition. It's midrangey, warm but not fat. Great for EVH tones.

6. fechart

fechart Member

Really? They say the JB is very nasal and has a lots of mids. Mahogany body + neck is very fat, with strong low midrange. I've also heard that the JB is not tight, kinda loose in the low end, which is not the case here.

7. fechart

fechart Member

Yes, I think those are the pickups

8. fechart

fechart Member

Do you know which Duncan could be near that tone?

9. Kostas

Kostas Member

I liked the JB (even for clean in split mode) with a 300k volume and 250k tone. It had all the upper frequencies I needed without being either shrill or muddy.

The 59 hybrid looks interesting for my taste.

10. fechart

fechart Member

Found a buddy that has a JB in an alder body Jackson. Kinda different wood, but I'll give it a try.

I'll report later, Cheers

11. Mincer

Mincer Member

A JB will rock in an LP, but it is double the output of a vintage LP, with a spike in the high mids. Many rockers love them. If you like traditional LP tones (and only those will do), go with the Seth Lovers.

fechart likes this.
  12. fechart

fechart Member

Hey thanks! Im a few hours I'll be trying that JB. Not worried about the output, I don't want a vintage output. I want something Vanhalenish, I got an EVH Frankie but didn't work for me in mahogany. It's sitting there waiting for the perfect guitar...

13. cause.effect

cause.effect Member