Which bridge for my strat?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Lajacoß, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Lajacoß

Lajacoß Member

Hey,
    I am making my perfect strat and I need opinions about what bridge I should get. I just wrote this about all my choices and stuff, but tgp logged me off and I am in a hurry, so I will make this quick.
    I am new to modding guitars and guitar parts like that. I like trem arms and ash tray covers. I am no a big fan of hardtails. I don't really like wilkinsons, I'm more of a fender guy. My choices would be between a american standard series bridge and fender vintage style bridge. I will get links later. I would really appreciate your guy's opinion about a good bridge.

Thanks,
    Jacob

2. jay42

jay42 Member

If you look at what boutique builders use, you'll often find a number of Gotoh pieces. Be aware that the E - e distance is not always the same. There are 2 1/16", 2 1/8", 2 3/16"...probably some in between for the metric-inclined.

3. Rumble

Rumble Instrumental Rocker Silver Supporting Member

4. rockstarjay

rockstarjay Member

If you use the bar a lot get the american standard bridge. I prefer the ones with the block saddles for heavy trem use.

If not I would say get the american vinatage bridge which you can get for about $65 online. The difference between the AV bridge steel block and the high end callham is the anti rust paint Fender applies, You can toss the block in some paint stripper if you desire a slightly brighter sound.

5. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

6. Lajacoß

Lajacoß Member

Thanks guys. I forgot about GFS. I have a classic 60's body, if that helps and I do use the whammy bar A LOT!

7. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk Member

Floyd Rose. It's the only way to whammy. Contrary to what a lot of guys say, they're not that bad to deal with and they don't "suck tone".

8. Lajacoß

Lajacoß Member

Thanks, but floyd roses have never really been my thing. Plus I really dislike how they look, especially on strats.

9. rockstarjay

rockstarjay Member

Actually IMO they are high quality, good sounding steel bridges. I don't like the feel of bends with the nut locked though. YMMV

Can't argue with high quality made in U.S.A. craftsmanship. Its a bit better but twice as much as the fender vintage bridge so it depends on how much cash you plan on dropping into it.

If you want to go all Jimi on the trem, I still think the AmSe bridge is the best one, especially with a tremsetter.

10. rockstarjay

rockstarjay Member

Is your perfect strat made of cheap import parts? Or made with pride in the nation that invented the Strat and rock and roll?

GFS stuff is great for Squiers and low end beater guitars. It is what it is.

Buy American.

11. Lajacoß

Lajacoß Member

Thanks for the input rockstarjay, I think I'll get an american bridge. And bump for any more opinions.

12. mlynn02

mlynn02 Supporting Member

i vote for callaham also. or the high end gotoh stuff.

13. Lajacoß

Lajacoß Member

14. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe Member

I replaced the stock bridge in my jeff beck strat with
    a callaham six saddle. Comparing the two side by side,
    the callaham is more precision-made, a bit deeper,and is heavier too.
    I got the 3/4 length trem arm, which is much better/tighter than any fender. If you like "the finer things", it's worth it.

16. mlynn02

mlynn02 Supporting Member

that's the one i just replaced with a callaham. the difference was night/day. seriously worth the extra 25 bucks or so, in my opinion.

that said, i could give you a good deal on my leftover trem parts. american standard. i had to reuse the trem plate though. but i have the block, trem arm and saddles. let me know if you're interested!