Which bridge humbucker for a one-pickup guitar?

diogoguitar

A little while ago I did a one-pickup experiment with my Les Paul and loved it. I'm thinking about doing it again on a strat, but I don't know what to choose.

I want a humbucker that can respond well to the TONE pot and cut a bit of the highs when rolling the knob down

The goal is to play something like 80s heavy rock with good treble response, but can handle some low frequencies when tone pot rolled off.

what would you suggest?

P.s.: my strat is not routed for P90, so I'm not going that route, but i can entertain a noiseless P90 in a humbucker size

Last edited:

NashSG

I bought and misplaced into a box a Duncan 78 for a decade. Found it last year and got this put together and done a few months ago.

IMG_0757.JPG

NashSG

I got it wired with a 5 way switch.

cutoff
wah mod
w/ tone pot
just volume
straight to jack (by pass volume & tone)

It's pretty fun. It's not a crazy hot humbucker, but you got some play with the volume.

It is a mahogany body and baked maple neck (Warmoth 59 shape).

mrpinter

Gold Supporting Member
The Righteous Sound Pickups' Lyom model is a great match for single pickup guitars. It uses A8 magnets, and the highs are a bit attenuated, but it still has a full range sound. My company uses a modified Lyom in our single pickup model, and we love it. HERE IS A LINK to Righteous Sound's audio/video of the Lyom.

BaliGod

Silver Supporting Member
A little while ago I did a one-pickup experiment with my Les Paul and loved it. I'm thinking about doing it again on a strat, but I don't know what to choose.

I want a humbucker that can respond well to the TONE pot and cut a bit of the highs when rolling the knob down

The goal is to play something like 80s heavy rock with good treble response, but can handle some low frequencies when tone pot rolled off.

what would you suggest?

P.s.: my strat is not routed for P90, so I'm not going that route, but i can entertain a noiseless P90 in a humbucker size

Nail Bomb

Lee54

I would suggest a DiMarzio Probably a Paf pro or SD.

what would you suggest?

tboyblue

JB is the easy choice, hard to go wrong.
For P90 size HB, I like the Bare Knuckles: I've used both the Supermassive and the Stockholm. Both great, just depends on how hot you want it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom