Which cab for a Peavey Classic 50 head ?

Billy Idle

I have an old C50 head with a 4x10 tweed cab and would like to buy a new cab, a 2x12. I'm thinking about an Orange PPC212 but I have never heard this C50 head through such a cab.

I would just replace the speakers if I trusted the cab enclosure's quality.
I know Orange has 13 mm of plywood on their cabs and this seems trustworthy as far as quality is concerned.

I want this amp to have a new life.
I've tried it out w/ a Marshall 2061x cab but it sounded harsh and trebly.

What do you guys think ?

Hound Dog61

I run my C50 head through the matching 4x10 and 1x15 cabs. I think it sounds great. The Peavey cabs seem to be built pretty sturdy. Why don't you trust yours, is it damaged?

Braunzo

The Orange would be a great fit, but keep in mind that the Vintage 30's in the Orange cab need time to be broken in, as they will initially sound a little harsh on the top end. But once they've mellowed out after about 10 hours of playing, it's beautiful. With the darker sounding Oranges on the sales floors going through their respective cabs, they sound just fine. The Classic 50 will be a tiny bit bright, but not too ridiculous.

Just keep in mind that those cabinets are going to have a different character after a bit of playing and speaker break-in.

HawkeyeKane

I'm kinda surprised that Peavey doesn't offer a 212 cabinet these days. Have you ever played or heard a C50 212? If the 12" Blue Marvels are to your liking, you could get a couple of Peavey 112 extension cabs. Same speaks that come in the C50 212, and the individual cabs could allow for angling options. My band's guitarist does this with his BF Bandmaster to great success.

Billy Idle

The Peavey cabs seem to be built pretty sturdy. Why don't you trust yours, is it damaged?
No, it's in perfect cosmetic condition but I'm not sure about the quality of the cab for I don't what it was made of ? Which wood etc...
I have the opportunity to grab one (I live in France) PPC212 and I know it is a top-notch quality.

The Orange would be a great fit, but keep in mind that the Vintage 30's in the Orange cab need time to be broken in, as they will initially sound a little harsh on the top end. But once they've mellowed out after about 10 hours of playing, it's beautiful. With the darker sounding Oranges on the sales floors going through their respective cabs, they sound just fine. The Classic 50 will be a tiny bit bright, but not too ridiculous.

Just keep in mind that those cabinets are going to have a different character after a bit of playing and speaker break-in.
Yes, thanks. I keep that in mind. All speakers need to be given about 10 hours just to get right open. Especially those V30s !
I want to get a fuller sound from my C50 cause the 4x10 can sound a bit harsh at times. I want to improve their ability to drive dirt pedals.
I know the stock speakers raise questions about their quality. I just find them cool sounding but I play really loud with my band and I want more definition.

The 2nd question is : should I go for an open or a closed-back cab ?

My boss told me not to rely on the sound I heard when we unboxed the 2061X cab. I think I want someting darker and bassier.

I'm kinda surprised that Peavey doesn't offer a 212 cabinet these days. Have you ever played or heard a C50 212? If the 12" Blue Marvels are to your liking, you could get a couple of Peavey 112 extension cabs. Same speaks that come in the C50 212, and the individual cabs could allow for angling options. My band's guitarist does this with his BF Bandmaster to great success.
If I shouldn't purchase the PPC212, I think I'll keep playing on the stock cabinet. And maybe swap my 4x10 for a 12' Black Cat speakers twosome. I heard they provided the V30's basses and a Blue Marvel top-end. My dream...
I wish I could have an extra 1x15' extension cab, this thing must be crazy for playing Neil Young tunes !

Hound Dog61

I am not a cab expert by any means, but both my 4x10 and 1x15 seem to be good quality and plenty sturdy. I do know Orange makes good cabinets so maybe you should grab one if you like those better. You could always sell it or swap speakers. You could even sell the 4x10 to cover the cost, they seem to be kinda hard to come by and fetch a decent price. I bet if you contacted Peavey they could tell you about the cab construction.

Trending Topics