Which cab for Budda SD30?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by relaxandreflect, Jun 9, 2008.

1. relaxandreflect

relaxandreflect Member

I have a Budda SD30II. It came in a 1x12 combo with a 1x12 closed back cab as well. The sound isn't quite as full as I would like.

I originally tried a Budda 2x12 cab that I loved. The guy I bought this from had a Marshall cab with 2x12 Vintage30/Greenback cab, and it sounded good.

I was also looking at a Carolina Cabs 2x12 or 2x10 or a Port City wave cab. I do like a big beefy thick sound.

2. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

I am really pleased with my SD18 head and THD 212 cabinet. I haven't noticed anyone else using the combination but I am quite happy with it.

Terry

3. BurnoutBright

BurnoutBright Member

I have an SDII 30 and I am also trying to find the right speakers. I have tried mine with Avatar vintage 2x12 open back and Avatar traditional 4x12 and I like the sound through my 4x12 better. Currently my 4x12 has hellatone 30 and 60, I am currently happy but I would like to try other ones as well. I was in Budda San Francisco a few months back and I plugged my SDII 30 to their floor 4x12 with Phat speakers, and that particular cab sounded great. That particular cab is till haunting me ( I tried to buy the cab but its not for sale ). I am thinking hauling my cab over there and do an A/B with my 4x12 to see if I was just imagining the tone difference.

4. modulusrules

modulusrules Member

I currently use a Budda 1x12 cab and a Mesa rec. 2x12 cab. Individually they each serve a purpose (mesa for high gain rock, Budda for blues and pop. For "MY" sound however, I use both together and I seem to get the best of both worlds.

5. relaxandreflect

relaxandreflect Member

Before buying my Budda I had looked at Mesa and THD amps. I almost bought one (each at one time), but didn't try their speakers with different amps. I do like the solid pine construction of the Budda, but am not sure if I can get a better sound with different speakers or cab. I am really intrigued by the Port City cabs, but haven't heard one yet. My local store keeps pushing the Carolina Cabs, which seem a little better than the Avatar cabs, which I have heard good things about.

I also saw a Dr. Z 2x12 on my local CL and was thinking about it. Anyone use one of them? I can't find much about their build.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  6. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

If it is a Z Best 2x12 cab, I would suspect it would sound killa with the SDII. Lots of low end and clarity. I'd really like to try a Z best with SB/BD speaker combo with an SDII to hear how it would sound.