Which cab for Diezel Herbert & VH4???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by markom89, Jul 18, 2006.

1. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I finally pulled the trigger on the Diezel head that youve all been hearing me talk about for soo long now, and want to know which cab works best with Diezels, whether its the Diezel 4x12 cab, Mesa, Marshall, Bogner etc...? I would like to have some solid answers within the next few days so that I could order it. Out of the Diezel cabs which one would work best? Front or rear loaded and V30's or the Diezel "custom" speakers (aka eminence)? Thanks in advance guys, Ill post some pics up when I get the entire rig together. Cheers.

-Marko M.

2. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Ive actually heard some not so good things about the Diezel cabs on another forum. Has anyone had any experience with them?

3. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

i'd wait a little longer than 14 min for a reply dudely...the Diezel guys will come...

4. Spidervenom

Spidervenom Member

By my calculations, he waited 24 minutes :D

5. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

spidervenom- your right, it was 24 minutes...how'd you get 14 hw2nw???... well thats OT, but which cab do you guys think would be best for a herbert and which for a VH4?

6. Spidervenom

Spidervenom Member

I'm not qualified to say what cab would suit that amp best, but in general, it's hard to go wrong with a Marshall 1960V.

That said, there's probably a whole bunch of better boutique cabs.

7. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

ah, you're right. gotta watch my 2's and 4's. still.

8. tradarama

tradarama www.PRIMEGUITARS.com Silver Supporting Member

Here are my thoughts:

1. Old Marshall/Vintage cab is NOT the way to go. Very squishy tone that does not take advantage of the punch of those amps. Save your money.

2. Diezel FRONT LOAD 4-12. Great cutting cab. Very clear and in your face. I like it a ton. I use V30 & G12H in an X pattern....love it!

3. Diezel REAR LOAD "NY" Cab: It is the "vintage" looser feeling cab (THey make 2). I like it because it adds warmth without mush. More bottom end and fuller tone.

I have not had the standard Diezel cab but hear that it's tight and punchy (kind of a combo of both).

Speakers. The only vintage speakers that are good with a Diezel are the 1970s Black Back Celestions (1777 cones). They are like $130 each on the market and available all day long (25w). I think they sound fantastic.
    However, I also like the new V30s and G12Hs.

My 2 cents.

On the Diezel you may want to try RFT preamp tubes. KCA recommended them and it made a difference. i would not waste money on Mullards, Amperex etc because they don't bring out the best in the amp vs. the RFT.

I know many others will differ w/ my opinions & I will not take offense to tthat.

9. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

Herbert = Diezel frontloaded 4X12 V30s

VH4 = Diezel rearloaded 4X12 w/ 2H30s + 2V30s (this is not the NYC cab).

BTW What "other" forum are you refering to?

10. cancelthesound

cancelthesound Member

I run my VH4 with a VHT cab loaded with V30s. I love it.

11. Distortion

Distortion Member

Not sure about the VH4, but the Herbert was voiced for Vintage 30's.

12. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I think its between the front loaded and rear loaded diezels, not sure which speakers to go with.

-Wizzard of ozz- Im refering to either huge racks inc or rigtalk, dont remeber which one exactley, but one of the two, one of the dudes said he just prefered the tone of the mesa...

13. rabbit

rabbit Member

A guy who works in a shop here which has been selling Diezels since the beginning told me that they sell most together with the Mesa cabs, especially the taller recto ones (traditional?). But that may be the NuMetal folks mainly who are looking for the extra oomph...

14. Scoeb City

Scoeb City Member

i own a Herbert and a VH4 they sound amazing through my two front loaded diezel cabs with v30's they cut, theres lots of punchy low end when you want it and theyre top notch quality built. i traded a mesa 4x12 for a diezel frontloaded and what a night and day difference..so much happier with the diezel than the mesa. so happy in fact i had Diffusion Audio ship me another one to complete my stage rig, so i no longer have to lug around the unnecessarily heavy mesa recto cab that doesnt sound half as good as my new diezel cabs.

15. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Scoeb- hey man, thanks for the advice, Id still be using the mesa for about another week then get the Diezel front loaded. How much did shipping cost you for the cab from difussion? Shouldnt of been much seeing as theyre in Montreal. right? Also, by the end of this year, Ill have the same setup as you ampwise (VH4, Herby, 2 Diezel 4x12s:D) its awsome. Your the only other guy (besides my self as of this week) that I know of who has a Diezel rig.

16. RGN

RGN Member

I much prefer rear loaded cabs to their front loaded counterparts. The best cab I have found for my VH4 is the Bogner 2X12 OS w/V30s. The 4X12 Bogner is also crushing good but I don't have the room to haul it around. I used a Genz-Benz 4X12 with 12/75s and it sounded pretty solid too. I haven't had a lot of experience with Diezel cabs but I am sure they don't suck.

17. Scoeb City

Scoeb City Member

yeah dude. i don't think shipping was much. i didn't pay that myself but im sure it was reasonable. yeah hardly anyone plays diezel in canada, which is a shame. but whatever. are you in a band markom89?

18. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

that's a lot different than hearing "not so good things" and it sounds like he was referring to a single Diezel cab, not all of them, eh?

19. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

That would be the absolute worst choice you could make. The Mesa Recto Oversized 4X12 Standard cabs are the bassiest, boomiest, loosest, flubbiest, muddiest, darkest, most undefined sounding cabs on the market IMHO. Any Diezel will sound like flabby ass thru one. I've owned 3 of those cabs and hated them all.

I run my Herbert with a Diezel frontloaded 4X12 w/ V30s. This cab was recommended to me by Peter Diezel and was the cab he voiced the Herbert to sound it's best with.

20. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

It was Rig-Talk, but the guy wasn't slamming the Diezel cabs or anything. He simply said he preferred the tone from the Mesa cabs. I've heard nothing but good things about Diezel cabs and own a pair of Diezel 2x12" cabs myself.