• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Which cab for my Blue JR. Extension?

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
Both look great... what are they loaded with for a speaker?

Also... What mod did you do to your BJr to get an extra speaker out? How much money did it cost?

zombiwoof

Silver Supporting Member
Fender now makes a 1-12 that exactly matches the Blues Jr., have you checked those out?

Al

Guitar Dave T

Of concern would be impedance mismatch. Unless Fender has a 4 ohm tap on the output transformer, there is a popular misconception that Fender OT's are very forgiving and can easily handle the difference; My experience is It Ain't So.

OT damage is acumulative, and I've seen it occur in as little as two years on Fender amps, even when increasing the overall speaker impedance, going from a 2 ohm to 8 ohm load, which by all accounts is much easier on OT's than going the other way.

lawrencedesigns

Silver Supporting Member
These are unloaded cabs. I already have a Cannabis Rex in my Jr., so I am thinking about a Texas Heat in the extension cab.

But first I will take a look for that Fender matching cab. Thanks for the heads up.

Billm has on his website a $10 mod to add a second speaker out jack. That's probably what I will do. And from everything I have heard there is no impedence problem if you match 'em carefully.

Keeth Lawrence
Lake Arrowhead, CA

Guitar Dave T

Billm has on his website a $10 mod to add a second speaker out jack. That's probably what I will do. And from everything I have heard there is no impedence problem if you match 'em carefully.
The output jack on BillM's website appears to be a direct replacement for the hardwired output cable of the older Blues Jr's, not an additional jack. But should be easy enough to drill and run in parallel, though know that:

Blues Jr output is 8 ohms. This means you either:

Get 2 16 ohm speakers, including replacing the combo speaker and run them in parallel.

Find out if there is a 4 ohm coil tap you can wire a couple additional output jacks in parallel for two 8 ohm speakers. When you run just the combo speaker, it stays plugged into the existing 8 ohm output, when you run both speakers, they both get plugged into the two 4 ohm output jacks.

Trending Topics