Which cab is best?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Buzz_Bee, May 4, 2016.

1. Buzz_Bee

Buzz_Bee Member

Hi all, I'm looking to buy an extension cabinet for my Blackstar HT5R, and I was looking at Panama for a deal. I'm tossing between a 2x10, 1x12, or maybe shelling out for a 2x12. I don't know much about cabs. Could someone tell be the pros and cons of each size? I'd like to know how each will effect my tone and volume. Any help would be appreciated.

Advisable Owl likes this.
  2. Saint Luminus

Saint Luminus Member

There waaaayyy too many variables here my friend. Yeah its quite confusing and there is way too much to learn. Generally a 2x12 will be louder than a 1x12. The tone will be dependent on the construction of the cabinet, the type of wood and the speaker. A Celestion Vintage 30 will sound different than a Greenback.

A low wattage 12" speaker will reach speaker breakup easier than a higher wattage speaker.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. So what is best for you? I have no idea because you haven't stated what you plan on doing. Playing live? Just at home? Jamming with friends? Recording at home? etc etc.

If I'm just playing at home with a low wattage amp, I would go with a 1 x 12.

3. Buzz_Bee

Buzz_Bee Member

I can clarify then! I do small gigs. Un-miced, and jamming with friends. My HT5R is a 1X12 combo. But I'd like to add an extension cab to it. I wanna increase volume, not lose much headroom, and hopefully improve tone at higher volumes. The cabs I'm looking at are made by Panama guitars. Their 1X12 and 2X12 models are made of Spanish cedar and are loaded with Panama AV30/MBC speakers. Their 2X10 model is very non descriptive, they say it's made of "Sustainable Tonewoods" and loaded with their British ceramic 10 speakers.

Advisable Owl likes this.
  4. PanamanianDevil

PanamanianDevil Member

If you are looking to have some good headroom, go for a 2x12 that will be loaded with something that can handle their higher gained amps like the Fuego or the Shaman. Their AV30, or Purpleback could be a good choice. The D30 will give you an extended low end, depending on what you need from your genre. I own most of what they make, so feel free to PM me with questions.

Good luck.

5. mesa/kramer

mesa/kramer Member

2x12's sound the fullest, but your not going to get more volume by having more speakers.
    You need a more powerful amp for that

I would suggest at least 30 watts for live un-mic'd gigs