which cables for my effects?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by adelphi710, Dec 1, 2005.

1. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

can anyone recommend good cables for effects? i'm looking for very short cables (since they're for my pedal board), and i'm also a tone freak so something that is very transparent and doesn't lose a lot of tone (i will be running an axess BS2 line buffer before the effects for your info.) thanks!
    alex

2. webb

webb Member

George L's are always a good choice, especially for pedalboards. Bayou cables will make them for you if you want a more rugged cable. Run a search for cables in this forum, you'll get a lot of ideas.
    best
    webb

3. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

i just switched to george l's. i too am a tone freak and can't stand tone suck, these are great though.

4. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

cool, where can i pick them up? whats the avg cable length between pedals on a board?

5. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I use lava cables which, for all intents and purposes, are exactly or almost exactly the same as bayou. Mark from lava is an awesome guy and very helpful, always willin to talk on the phone if you need some help. Lava uses top o' the line cables and connectors for his cables.

http://www.lavacable.com/

Everything you've ever wanted to know about cables is on that site, check out his cable 101 and cable comparison.

6. themusicboxstudios

you can get them at a number of sites ... ebay has a few stores that are pretty cheap. you make the cables to your own length. they're really easy to assemble and it's great because you can make them whatever length you need for your board.

7. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

+ 1

8. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I've been considering the packages at the bottom of this page:

http://www.stompin-ground.com/products/sgcablegls155.htm

You can get Gepco cable with George L connectors, very good price compared to everywhere else and Gepco cable seems to be of the highest quality, even though I haven't really read many players' reactions...

I will probably have some Y cables and new speaker cables made by LavaMan.

I will need two 15 foot cables and a 10 footer as well for my guitar and two amps, I have been considering WOBO Guitar Electronics' (out of Poland) new "directional" hi-end Way Of Sound guitar cables. http://www.woboge.com/other.html ... I don't know the price of these yet, though...

They're not up on WOBO's eBay store- http://stores.ebay.com/WOBO-Guitar-Electronics They've got some really cool boxes... I'm still awaiting my huge custom box to come in the mail from Poland... The "Inverter" and "Router Looper" pedals are really cool and innovative designs. I'm going to get one made as well that's sort of a cross between the two so I can "teleport" a loop with my volume pedal (and future Boss HR-2) between a couple of discreet locations in my signal chain before and after my Loop Station for volume control and harmonies of my loops and independently from them. Cool stuff.

9. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

if i'm running them between effects only, do i want .155 or .225? do i want gold or nickle plated plugs? thanks,
    alex

10. themusicboxstudios

i use the smaller cable just for ease in small spaces. I have all nickel right angle ends and they sound great. I'm not too sure about the tonal differences between the ends, but i'd be interested in finding out as well.