Which cables for your pedalboard?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guitarz_dave, Oct 27, 2005.

1. guitarz_dave

guitarz_dave Member

I recently upgraded my cable for guitar to amp, switching from Monster to Evidence Audio. I was surprised to hear a big difference with the richness of harmonics.

As a result, I am considering changing the cables I use for my pedalboard. The only doubt I have is the cost of EA would be significant for a pedalboard with ten pedals.

Do you think it's worth the difference for a pedalboard, as compared to using EA for guitar to amp and then George L's on the pedalboard?

(BTW, here is my effects chain: Boss TU2, Sweet Mojo Vibe, Zvex Ooh Wah, Teese RMC Picture Wah with FoxRox mod, Maxon PH350 Rotary Phaser, ZenDrive, Analogman Clone Chorus, Maxon AD999 Analog Delay, Zvex LoFi Loop Junky, Gig FX Chopper).

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

how much do you estimate it would cost to wire your board with EAs?

3. guitarz_dave

guitarz_dave Member

The price quoted to me was $60 for each 6 inch cable including right angle plugs, which works out then to $540.

4. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

wow. Well, I use lava cables www.lavacable.com

not only does he ship an excellent product (can't help you in how they compare to EA, sorry), but his site is full of everything you ever could have thought about cables. Check it out

5. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

guitarz_dave

This is kinda off topic but how did the evidence cables compare to the monster? which monster's were you using?

Thanks

6. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

one more thing

My experience is that the loop junky picks up noise with George Ls. YOu can hear hum in the recorded loop... very noisy...unuseable

Maybe that could just have been my particular setup?? Dunno...but giving you a heads up

7. guitarz_dave

guitarz_dave Member

It was one Monster's higher end rock cables.

I switched to EA Lyric HG. I was skeptical, but could not believe the difference, which was remarkable (to my ears). It was as if a lot more of the harmonics came through, and there seemed to be a fuller more "3 dimensional" sound to the EA.

Thanks for the tip about George L's and the Zvex LoFi Loop Junky. I like that pedal, so, I guess George L's is not an option for my board. Also the gold George L's right angle tips cost $30 for a pair, so it's about twice as much for the EA pedalboard cables.

8. tthompso7

tthompso7 Guest

I really like my George L's lot's of flexibility, easy to fix.... Just make sure your connections are good the first time around!

9. rabbit

rabbit Member

Take into consideration that most cables would need more space on the board than George Ls. I saw that you have a rather crowded board.

10. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I've been using George L's for nearly 3 years now and had very few problems that weren't fixed by tightening a connection or simply replacing that 6" of cable. They don't add noise - leastways not that I can detect - to my signal path. Dig 'em.

--chiba

11. drummondrs

drummondrs Member

I use Bayou Cables. Considered changing to Evidence but couldn't justify the money when the Bayou's do the job very well.

12. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

Thanks for the reply

I think I'm going to buy a 12 ft evidence just to check it out.

13. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

I like the George L's on my board, but I've been checking out the solderless Planet Waves plugs.

14. miko

miko Guest

I recently got a couple of Mulder Audio's new pedal cables and they sound great... I have a couple of Mulder's speaker cables and was blown away by the improvement and he recently started making these pedal cables so I thought I'd try 'em.

I've been using Spectraflex instrument cables, which I've been pretty happy with but I'm on the verge of trying the Evidence cables too.

Anyway Gary Mulder's new X-pedal cables seem close in $$ to the Evidence pedal cables, but I'm really impressed with the tone. I only play through two or three pedals so it's not such a huge investment... but I really like the sound.

miko

15. Luke V

Luke V Member

Any cable will sound better than Monster. Thier guitar cables suck. I thought I was doing myself a favor and bought a couple. One for guitar to pedal board, one for pedalboard to amp. Instantly I hear that something was wrong. I ended up going through my pedalboard to find the problem. Well to make a long story short, I grabbed a generic cable that was laying around and substituted it for the Monster cable and my rig started sound like my rig again. Replaced the other Monster/junk cable and things were back to normal. I ended up switching all cabling to George L's have never had a problem. That was about 3 years ago. As usual YMMV. Good Luck,
    Luke

16. rockon1

rockon1 Member

The cheapest I can find. Radio Shack mostly-really! If I lose a tad of high end its all to the better IMO. Never liked "audio quality" stuff for guitar. Its not about that considering the frequency range we deal with with a guitar. As far as noise goes ,its never been an issue. I dont record with it.Flame away....

17. dirtypool

dirtypool Member

Amersfoort, near Amsterdam, the Netherlands, Europ
    Im using Spectraflex but am gassing on Evidence as well might even try Cornish cables.

Wasent there someone who went from Evidence to Cornish and was very happy?

Richard

18. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Likewise... no problems with them inc. noise.

jc

19. flicker180

flicker180 Member

i'm using the planet waves plugs and cabling and truthfully, they're much better than GL's.

dave

20. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

Hey Dave,

What have you found so far?