Which Celestion is the Weber Silver Bell...

The Kid

agree 100%. i have tried to like alnicos but when compared side by side with the ceramic version i always like the ceramic better. to my ears they are punchier and more dynamic. the alnicos i have played and owned always sounded harsh by comparison. the weber blue dog and silver bell are 2 of my favorite speakers too. fwiw, the weber chicago, thames and michigan are great too.

AlNiCo's are generally pretty harsh until broken in. They are incredible after they get some hours on them.

Teh RedWizard

Silver Supporting Member
I'm not a fan of the ceramic Silver Bell at all. What amp are you running with that Orange 2x12? WGS Green Berets, Veteran 30's, Emi Private Jacks or my fave, Scumback M75's would sound killer in there.
For the time being,I'm going to be running a Class 5 combo into it,but eventually want to score another Rocker 30! :boxer:boxer

Gdog

Wanted to add to this thread....

Just got a 15 watt ceramic Silver bell off ebay to put in my cab for my 18 watt.
I have to say so far that this was exactly what I was looking for. It replaced a G12h30, which had a high end "take your head off" punch to it. It also had really too much bass for my 1x12 cab. Couldn't stand being in front of the amp very long, even with a beam blocker. Now I can sit right in front of my amp and enjoy ever note and still have my head intact. It has smooth highs, but still chimes like a bell(esp in positions 2&4). The bass is more even and not big and boomy as was with the H30. It also made the amp a tad softer in volume which is what I wanted. I believe the assessment of the silver bell being somewhere between a GB and H30 is correct. LOVE this speaker and glad I got the 15 watt.

Last edited:

Rick360

Howdy,

The late Ted Weber recomended his 30 watt AlNiCo Silver Bell for my Carmen Ghia last year, with Pre-Rola treatment. I expected this rig to deliver the goods for raunch, and it does.
The pleasant surprise is just how lovely this rig is for low volume, chimey clean tones! With all of my guitars, I can achieve these polite and lovely British Invasion cleans which are so addictive. And all this time, I thought my Ghia was only for raunch & blooze! A big "thumbs up" to the AlNiCo Silver Bell.

F#m7

Silver Supporting Member
Check out the scumback scumnico. It's made by weber(as are all scumback speakers) to Jims specs. It is a clone of the alnico silvers with the larger voice coil and greenback cones like the ones found in old super beatle cabs. My favorite speaker for almost anything, I have some original '67's and Jims compare very well. I've a/b'd them in different applications with my second favorite the M75, and prefer them almost everytime except for when using really high gain. If your doing mostly high gain stuff, I would look at the M75.Lots of great options for us guitarists these days!

JDW3

It took me ages to break in my Weber AlNiCo Silver Bell. But now, its starting to rattle and buzz. Looks like a recone is in order.

plan-x

Took the back off my 2x12 convertible cab with a ceramic Silver bell/Blue dog combo that really delivers a British flavor.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom