which celestion?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by earache33, Sep 18, 2006.

1. earache33

earache33 Member

which celestion should i get for my marshall dsl401? im thinkin the V30, but looking at some others as well. I play hard rock mostly. what should i go with? is the g12 m heritage worth the extra $90? any others worth considering in that range? thanks buddy.

2. earache33

earache33 Member

could you describe the differences between the V30 and the G12, maybe some examples of artists who sound like they use either one?

3. rastaman

rastaman Member

V30 think Slash

G12H Heritage think Hendrix

4. earache33

earache33 Member

thanks man, slash'll do

5. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I'd consider Tone Tubby alnico hempcones over the V30s. I have both and the TT slays. More volume, tighter bass, singing highs.

I'm thinking about having A Brown Soun recone my V30s.

stratzrus

6. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

Also look at the Eminence Governor. I like it much better than the V30 in the same applications. Little more 'open' sounding. Great speaker for those uses.

7. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

The Governor even sounds awesome in Princeton Reverbs.

[​IMG]

8. earache33

earache33 Member

unfortunately (?) i have a gift card to guitar center for the speaker, celestion seems the way to go. thanks for the input.

9. big mike

Yeah, then nothing from GC will do V30 better tan a V30.

10. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

Actually, we just shipped GC a one time load of speakers called the "Relic 30" which are V30's with a slightly different cone (some say smoother). They are selling them for $49 which is mind blowing compared to the usuall $110 map price. Not a bad deal if that's the tone he's after.

11. big mike

I'm not aware of that speaker. I the cone gets rid of the mid hump the V30's can have it's definately worth looking at for people that like those speakers.

12. celestion101

To be honest, I wasn't aware either because my co-worker handles the US distribution stuff (who handles retail). It was apparently a one time deal and those who have tried it in a 4x12 are digging it. Who knows, if it does have less of a mid hump, then it could be a future model. We've sold three times more V30's in the last year than ever, yet it's a very torn world with people on the forums. For me they work great with some amps, but it's usually not my 'go to' speaker. I'm more of a G12H guy.

13. earache33

earache33 Member

I didn't see them on the website. any idea how i would go about tracking one down. $49 seems cheap, almost toooo cheap. you say the V30's work good with some amps, does this include marshall dsl401's?

14. celestion101

I think they work well with Marshall, and so does Marshall, but that's up to you and personal taste. I've been in 5 area GC's and they all had them on the floor, so Im not sure about the website listing (or lack of).

15. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Yes. The V30 is the speaker Marshall should have put in that amp in the first place IMO. I really don't know why they didn't...

It's exactly right for what you want. The other possible choice in the Celestion range (which IMO is the only sensible choice for a Marshall anyway :)) is the Classic Lead 80. The V30 has tighter bass, very aggressive focused mids and darker top end, whereas the CL80 has a deeper bass, more open mids and more presence.

You can't safely use a G12M-25 or a G12H-30 no matter what they sound like (not right for hard rock in any case) because the amp is 40W, and even though it's not the 'loudest' 40W ever, it's still easily enough to blow a 25 or 30W speaker.

Both the V30 and the CL80 are big-sounding, high-sensitivity speakers with a lot of bass and solid mids, which is exactly what you need to make that amp sound good. The G12T-75 and the G12-65 would both be OK for power handling, but the 75 is too scooped and buzzy (exactly the wrong thing for the 401 which is a bit like that anyway) and the 65, although it's IMO a great-sounding speaker, is too jangly and 'furry' sounding for hard rock - and also lower sensitivity, which won't maximize the punch you need. You could also maybe try a G12H-100, but I'd still go for the V30 as the first choice.

Just my opinion.

16. earache33

earache33 Member

thanks for the input man

17. gw_bluesman

gw_bluesman Member

Ok, so how would you describe a V30?

and if possible, the Relic?

18. rockon1

rockon1 Member

The relic is a darker V30 without the notorious V30 high mid hump. Great speaker!:)