Which Ceriatone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by relaxandreflect, Feb 6, 2008.

1. relaxandreflect

relaxandreflect Member

I am very intrigued by the Ceriatone amps. I have listened to every clip and video on their website. Does anyone have enough experience with researching these to help direct me to the right one? I like a smooth clean tone like Budda, Orange, etc with a fat creamy tone. I like a distortion like an old Mesa, Marshall w/balls, etc. I also plan on asking to have a line out, bias knob, and other options added, so any helpful options to ask for are welcome also. Any ideas?

2. Kenny D

Kenny D Member

I just bought the CeriaTone Plexi 50 - Package 4.

I ordered the amp fully constructed with head cabinet, 1/2 power switch, FX loop, external bias control and post-phase-inverter master volume (PPIMV).

I, too, listened to just about every clip on the internet and decided on this amp based on what my favorite guitar players were playing and the tones I liked. I found the Plexi to be the best option.

The 18 watt TMB was also looking good but I went with the Plexi.

I have been exchanging emails with Nik for some time before I actually PayPaled the money. He was way cool and answered all of my questions right away.

I have scoured the internet looking for any info on these amps and I found not one bad reference.

My Plexi is only a day or two from delivery. I'll post an update when it gets here.

The total cost to ship from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia to Idaho was $1050.00 USD.

3. relaxandreflect

relaxandreflect Member

thanks for the reply

what does the post-phase-inverter master volume do other than a normal volume?

also, how does the bias control work? does it let you know when you have it right?

4. Kenny D

Kenny D Member

I really wish I could better answer your technical questions! I am not much of a techie. Nik will be better able to answer this one, or maybe someone else here can answer it.

The external bias is just so that the tech (or you) can easily bias the amp. Nik recommended that one to me and I went for it.

Don't be afraid to contact Nik directly. He answers his email very promptly and is happy to answer any questions you may have. I was emailing him for a month before I actually bought the amp. He was very responsive.

Get on youtube and search for CeriaTone. There are plenty of testimonials and sound clips out there.

5. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

It allows you to crank the channel volumes into distortion at lower volumes since normall the amp has no MV at all. Highly recommended for the price of the mod.

6. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I've purchased both fully assembled Lightening and 18watt EF86 from Nik. Both excellent amps and excellent build quality. The Lightening can be challenging to dial in because of the interactive tone controls, but once you dial in you can get excellent cleans and overdrive; very dynamic to the touch. The 18 watt's EF86 channel is great. Excellent chime in a Vox kind of way. The regular channel is a bit dark for my tastes.

7. leaveitalone84

leaveitalone84 Member

I've had a Ceriatone Expression since September and its a monster! Great amp. Nik is a great guy too.

8. 909one

909one Member

I just ordered a 5e7 clone yesterday. Unfortunately, I could find no clips of his bandmaster clone anywhere. BUT, with all the reviews I read about other his other amps and many quick email responses from Nik, I just decided to take a chance. He is going to be a very busy man with all of the good reviews of his stuff.

9. fuzz+strat

fuzz+strat Member

I ordered the JTM45 kit last night with a half-power switch. I figure I can cover quite a lot of ground. I chatted with Nik for a good while and he's one of the best guys in the biz. Shoot him an email and tell him what you're after; he'll take good care of you.

Hey Kenny. Moved on from gnet, huh? :p

10. Kitarist

Kitarist Member

11. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

I've owned four Ceriatones now, and they have all been very nice amps. I'd need to better understand what you're looking for to make a specific recommendation, though. Personally I find the cleans on Buddas (at least the Superdrives) to be a bit sterile, but aside from my own opinion, I don't think any of the cleans on any of the Ceriatones will sound that much like that. Additionally, I don't know of too many Marshall designs that sound much like old Mesas, so I'm not totally clear on what kinds of tone you like.

12. relaxandreflect

relaxandreflect Member

I don't think I am familiar enough with the big names to describe it correctly. I just like a good fat, warm, thick guitar tone. I also like to experiment, especially with tubes lately. I normally tend to like darker amps with fat sound and good headroom. For distortion, I always liked a friend's Mesa. Otherwise, I like the early 90's Weezer, Smashing Pumpkins wall of sound or stuff like Linkin Park, or even old Guns N' Roses. Then again, I have always had an affinity for classic rock. To start, I usually like a good fat clean tone and build from there.

13. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Sounds like a JTM-45 with pedals to me. Or if you want higher gain with no pedals, check out the Trainwreck models.

But JTM-45 with a good Germanium Fuzz is hard to beat!

dk

14. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I have an Overtone on the way, due in about 2-4 weeks from now.

15. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    The JTM45 is killer! I also had an 18 watt that was good, but I think I like the GDS better. :)

16. Speed_Racer71

Speed_Racer71 Member

SWEET!!
    i didnt know you could get all that done. been wanting the 50w and have it sent off to get the SIR #39 mod, and figured id have to send it out to someone else for the external bias mod..hot damn

17. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

It's a tough call, and you might have to make some decisions about what is more important to you. For Guns and Roses and old Weezer, Nik makes a handwired JCM800 clone that would probably be great for overdriven tones. Or like someone else suggested, the Trainwreck clones. None of those amps have a nice fat clean tone in my own opinion, though, although to be honest I'm only slightly familiar with the Trainwrecks. For big fat and creamy clean tones I would say the JTM45 would be great, and they work nicely with pedals. Nik can put a master volume on the back, too. The downside of the JTM is that the low end will start to flub out if you really push the amp. A 1986 (Plexi Bass) would be a little better in that regard. The 1987 (Plexi Lead) sounds like it would be too bright for your tastes.

If you're looking for Mesa tones from amps like the Rectifier series... big scooped nu-metalish tones... Ceriatone is honestly probably not the way to go. The closest would probably be the JCM800 clone, but that's really a pretty bright creature.

18. Timmo

Timmo Member

That's the one that I liked from the clips I've heard and the opinions I've read.
    Seems to have the "It factor"...........
    Everytime I look into buying one the price has gone up by $200 bucks!
    :crazy
    Last I heard the Overtone is $1300 now........

19. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

So the Overtones are coming after all, huh?

If the Mesa overdriven tones you like are from a Mark I, etc. instead of a Rectifier, DC-series, etc., this might be the one for you.