Which Chinese 12AX7s for my Shiva?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Lution, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Lution

Lution Member

Looking to pay for the regular Chinese tubes, nothing NOS to go into the first 4 spots on my Bogner Shiva head.

Basically, it would be the C9 I believe.
    Will Ruby tubes do the job?
    Is Shuguang tubes the right ones? Are they the same thing? Which ones do I avoid?

Thanks

-Lution

2. reaiken

reaiken Member

I like the Ruby 7025HG for the first preamp position in high-gain amps and the 7025SS for the rest of the positions.

Randall Aiken

3. devbro

devbro Member

Thery're labled "chinese". If you call Bogner, they'll tell you where you can get them. I think I ordered some from ARS in Van Nuys. BTW, I put some Tung-sol 12ax7's in my Shiva and they soundmuch "bigger".

4. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

Lution,

I just got a shiva too and I was looking at back up tubes (spares). From the bogner site questions link-
    What kind of tubes? Is a re-bias neccesary?[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Matched sets of Svetlana power-tubes must be used in ECSTASYS and SHIVAS, [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]UBERSCHALL amps must use matched Tesla power-tubes. As always [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]biasing these tubes is a good idea for optimum tone. Svetlanas hold up well to our high voltages and sound great. [/FONT]

If you find a source drop me a message as I want to get a back up set.

Johnny

5. Lution

Lution Member

Hey Randall. Thanks. Will Fat Willie know what I'm talking about if I give him those numbers?

6. Lution

Lution Member

That's what I'm running currently... and it sounds pretty good, just hearing that all-chinese is best in the Shiva. I have a Ruby 12AX7 in v1, then Tung-sol in v2-v4 then EH 12ax7s in the fx-return slot and the PI slot.

Can you tell me what differences you have heard between the chinese and the Tung-sols in your Shiva?

7. Miles

Miles Member

I would prefer JJ's for any amp. Chinese and sovteks have given me a really tough time and they sound tinny and brittle in comparison at louder volumes. Whereas the JJ's stay smoother and more full all around. But I have never tried different tubes in Bogners, so I could be off

8. reaiken

reaiken Member

Yes, he should know them. You may also want to look into the Tung-Sols, as others are suggesting. I haven't tried them myself, but I hear nothing but good things about them. I would probably recommend sticking with the 7025HG in the first preamp position, though, as it would likely be less microphonic than the longer-plate Tung-Sols. I find the Chinese tubes to be a great combination of low microphonics and "open" tone. They sound much better and more detailed to my ears than the JJ ECC83s I used to use.

RA

9. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    The Tung Sol Reissue 12AX7s are one of the best new production performers in microphonics and tone.

10. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

I've only tried JJ 12AX7's in a few applications, but I really don't like them very much at all, they are too bright, not detailed, not smooth. I even like Groove Tube Sovteks better than JJ's, which is saying something

11. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I agree with the above post about JJ's. My favorite 12ax7's are Tung-Sol and Ei. Have not tried any EH. Ruby's & Groove Tubes are just relabeled.

12. loudgtr

loudgtr Member

Speaking of re-labled (from the post above) what exactly are the Groove Tube 12AX7C? Which Chinese tube I mean? the 8th or 9th generation? I think I've read that the 9th gen. are a bit better. Not sure though.

13. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

The JJ ECC83S is the smoothest, most detailed 12AX7 I've ever encountered.

14. loudgtr

loudgtr Member

In my best Dr. Evil (I think that's the bad guy from Austin Powers) voice: "Really . . . and have you encountered them all?"

Seriously though, current production I mean. :BEER

15. Dave_C

Dave_C Member

I highly recommend giving the Tung Sols a try. They were clear winners over the Shuguang in everything from my Maz 18 to Hot Cat 30R to Fuchs TDS-50. The only only amp that preferred something else (Svetlana no less) was the Allen Accomplice.

16. Lution

Lution Member

I'm already using the Tung-Sols in my Shiva. Sounds very good, but the Chinese is what Reinhold recommends.

I've got some C9 tubes ordered from Lord Valve. I'll probably mix them with the Tung-Sols when they arrive.

fun!!

17. devbro

devbro Member

I tried many pre amp tubes in my shiva including NOS and the only thing better than the stock Chinese were Tung-sols. The Shiva clean channel is why I bought the amp and the Chinese tubes brought out the "shimmer" that I sought. The Tung-sols not only had the shimmer but also were more articulate and reactive to pick attack. The Shiva is a pretty compressed amp probably due to the plate voltage running across the power section (550V) so the more responsive sounding Tung-sol's were quite musical. Also, they added what was missing from the gain channel - sparkle.

18. BobboVisMe

BobboVisMe Member

Chinese 12ax7's SUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!! :moon Get some NOS Telefunkens or Mullards .... and you'll be saying ahhhhso Bobboson !!! If your looking to save $$$$ try the Ei Telefunken smoothplate copies !! I wont use anything but European tubes..

19. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Too bright, maybe the long plate tubes but the short plate tubes are probably the darkest current production tube you can buy. I can't believe the Bogner site say's you have to use matched Svetlana pre-amp tubes, I've never heard any amp manufacturer ever say this. I like the new Tungsols and the c9 shugnangs.

20. reaiken

reaiken Member

That's good to know. What kind of percentage yield do you get on them? Do they compare to the Chinese or JJ's in terms of microphonics?

Thanks,

RA