• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Which chorus - Boss CE-2(W) or Boss DC-2(W)?

Cragar

Silver Supporting Member
That's where I landed on it too. If I put it after overdrive/distortion, it was too flangey for my taste. My dirt tones sounded like they were flying through a jet stream. When I put it before the dirt, it sounded fine, but practically indistinguishable from tones I could dial in with the CE-5.

Clean it's a whole other thing and if you like those slow, wide choruses, it's fine. Since I don't operate in stereo, it's possible I wasn't getting the full DC-2W experience, but again when I ran it clean, it wasn't all that different from things I could dial in with the CE-5.
it reminded me of the non-moving chorus on the jc-120 amps in the late 80's. i played one for years and the wide chorus tone was really nice if you didn't want any warble.

Swijak

The CE is a more true chorus. The DC, I’m running stereo and it’s always on. I prefer the DC, but the CE is more rich and I don’t love chorus.
I agree with jasons7. I have an original Boss CE-2, and Roland JC-120 and I have had a chance to try out both the CE-2W and DC-2W for a couple of weeks. The CE-2W and DC-2W are both awesome pedals but they do produce different chorus sounds. For me, I prefer the DC-style chorus in stereo. However instead of the DC-2W I went with the Keeley 30ms as the sound was better suited for me and my stereo rig.

Phase45child

Neither. If it doesn't have a mix control, I can't find a use.

Deat Beat Wet Dreams and Mooer Ensemble King are in rotation now; DC-2, DC-2w, CE-1 and a bunch of CE-2s have all been on my board at one time or another but I admit - I prefer how cool they look to how they actually sound! CH-1 is the best Boss chorus pedal for my money.

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
There are 4 basic flavors of chorus in my opinion:
Clear, bright chorus. Like the Jazz Chorus, CE1 or the TCF-great if judiciously used to create some swirl. With the dry mixed low they're a great vibrato. They're fine in mono or stereo.
Thicker, chewier choruses: like the CE2, CE3, the Small Clone. Not much benefit to running them in stereo. More of a special effect.
Static choruses that achieve their effect by causing stereo separation -things like the Dyno-My-Piano, the DC-2, or the micro-pitch things that Eventide is doing now.
And then there's a whole world of weird chorus/flange effects produced by digital rack mount delay lines with fancy feedback and cross-modulation and so on.

So, you sort of pay your money and take your chances... That said, the CE2 isn't hard to reproduce, so a cheap Chinese version of that should be fine. The DC2 copy by Behringer is actually a good sounding pedal, and also not expensive. That leaves you with the CE1 sound from the CE2W that you can't get cheaply-Retrosonic or CE-2W or CE-1...
Not really following a few things in here.
1)Although there’s a difference, I don’t think I’d draw the Lind if bright vs thick and chewy between the CE-1 and CE-2 the way you did.

2) I understand the “static” thing, which is basically slight pitch shift (AKA detune) without modulation. But the DC-2 is not that. its Two separate delay/modulation lines running together, but in opposition. So you get the chorus widening without NOTICING as much of the modulation. But it’s certainly there. Since there are two of them, each can modulate a little narrower to achieve the effect than a single line chorus.

andrew00

I prefer the DC-2W because of the second option, the SDD-320, which I think gets more into the flanger as chorus territory. So it's nice to have two options, the original chorus like dimension setting, and the flangery/chorus sdd-320 setting.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Not really following a few things in here.
1)Although there’s a difference, I don’t think I’d draw the Lind if bright vs thick and chewy between the CE-1 and CE-2 the way you did.

2) I understand the “static” thing, which is basically slight pitch shift (AKA detune) without modulation. But the DC-2 is not that. its Two separate delay/modulation lines running together, but in opposition. So you get the chorus widening without NOTICING as much of the modulation. But it’s certainly there. Since there are two of them, each can modulate a little narrower to achieve the effect than a single line chorus.
OK, I'm going to have to haul out the CE1, I've always remembered it as significantly less chewy than the CE2, but I've been wrong before.
But I'll stand by my description of the DC2 as static, because it ISN"T swirly. It basically widens the stereo image and gives it slight movement. Dual pitch shifting does basically the same thing from a different engine (not generally BBD based), as does the Dyno-My-Piano Trichorus. All of them are kinda boring in mono, and all of them don't swirl so much as sway...

slowerhand

Silver Supporting Member
It's really up to taste between CE-2 and DC-2. Regular vs. Waza, i vote for regular (vintage). I had a DC-2W first but thought the vintage version sounded a bit warmer and richer somehow in some comparison clips. I bought one and immediately preferred it. It's a small difference of course, but that's what we do here. If the vintage ones were twice the price, or reliability were of the utmost importance, I'd go new, but as it is you can find original ones in good condition for quite a bit less than a new Waza version, and I assume you lose less on resale as well.

bisticles

When I played in a two-piece blues/soul band, I'd step on the chorus for playing bassy comped chords or palm-muted bass lines under the singer. For everything else, the swirly modulation got to be a bit much, and that's when I'd switch over to Dimension. I just picked up a Terraform, though, and I'm loving having everything right there.

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
Here you go :)
Thank you for doing this video.
It looks like you used the number 1 button on the DC-2? Is there another button, or combination of buttons that makes it sound thicker and any closer to the CE-2?

I’m not sure we could hear much of the full stereo effect from a video but go for it. It would be great to hear your opinions about how much difference the DC-2 in stereo makes compared to the CE-2 that’s not stereo.

Thank you for doing this video.
It looks like you used the number 1 button on the DC-2? Is there another button, or combination of buttons that makes it sound thicker and any closer to the CE-2?

I’m not sure we could hear much of the full stereo effect from a video but go for it. It would be great to hear your opinions about how much difference the DC-2 in stereo makes compared to the CE-2 that’s not stereo.
I used all 4 buttons on the DC-2 in that video - started with 1 and worked my way through to 4 with the four clean excerpts. The two OD segments are 1 with the Page and 4 with the RevivalDRIVE. All the pedal settings are exactly as shown throughout the video (though it is hard to see with the DC-2 buttons!)

I explored the DC-2 in stereo in this video - what do you think of the stereo effect at 10:21? This is the sort of thing I would do with the 5 of them - panning 2 amps hard L&R, etc.

dpgreek

Silver Supporting Member
Why not getting the MD-500? It has CE-1, CE-2, DC-2 and then some.
md500 is all digital? Itll do a convincing job but not the same.
As for analog DC-2 from 80s it clips a little when pushing input. I think the waza adjusted for it

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
I used all 4 buttons on the DC-2 in that video - started with 1 and worked my way through to 4 with the four clean excerpts. The two OD segments are 1 with the Page and 4 with the RevivalDRIVE. All the pedal settings are exactly as shown throughout the video (though it is hard to see with the DC-2 buttons!)

I explored the DC-2 in stereo in this video - what do you think of the stereo effect at 10:21? This is the sort of thing I would do with the 5 of them - panning 2 amps hard L&R, etc.
It was hard for me to tell which button was being used on the DC-2. Sorry, no problem.
Do you think one of the buttons or combination of buttons give it a thicker/fuller sound than the other buttons? Maybe the fullness of the sound doesn’t change?

If you want to stick with Boss, I prefer:
Boss Waza CE-2

This is basically a Waza CE-2 for less cost in my opinion, but getting harder to find out there:
Modtone Aqua Chorus II Pedal

I'm not a big fan of the DC in general, I think this is as good and less expensive:
TC Dimension Chorus 4 Mode
it's become hard to find despite initially not selling well

And I greatly prefer this to the modes of the DC and Dimension pedals:
TC June-60 Chorus 2 Mode

just my 2 cents

killer blues

Had the CE-2W, I have the DC-2W now. The CE-2W was nice, but I found I could get my analog CE-5 to sound virtually the same. Got the DC-2W - and I've been in love ever since. I am a chorus lover and I use the DC-2W as my chorus - button 3 and 4 and plenty thick for me!
my ce5 just wont leave my board. best bang for buck out there

Aceman893

I'm gonna go tough love here, and say this in my own special way:

Do you even know what either of these sounds like? Why are you even looking for a chorus? I'm going out on a limb (although a pretty thick and sturdy one) and say that you just have no idea what you want, why, or what either of these do.

This is a pretty fundamental issue. The equivalent would be asking "Should I get a TS9 or a DS-1?" as distortion goes. Two very different pedals that at the end of the day add dirt. But very different amounts and types. The better question would be for a beginner to ask "What does a TS9 or a DS1 do? What would I use one for? Here its what I play, my gear, my style etc."

If you want the classic thick/juicy/wet/liquid analog type of chorus - you get a CE-2 of some sort.

If you want a subtle stereo separation type of extra, dare I say "Dimension" to your sound you get a Dimension C.

A Youtube search will show the difference in about 1 minute of total search/listening time. If you just want to spend a lot of money on a Boss pedal to impress friends - flip a coin.

Trending Topics