Which chorus can get a good Leslie tone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by eric-d, Feb 3, 2006.

1. eric-d

eric-d Member

I'm trying to have a smaller board for easier travel purposes. I don't know if I should just get the Line 6 Roto or a Boss/Ibanez/Maxon chorus pedal that can get a decent Leslie tone. I would prefer true bypass, but not a must. Looking for something obviously with a foot print the size of a Boss pedal.

2. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

AM mini Clone Chorus?

3. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

4. drolling

drolling Member

Believe it or not, the old Boss hi-band flanger does a very decent sounding fast Leslie sim (Think SRV's 'Cold Shot'). I've yet to hear any chorus/phase/flange that could do a credible slow Leslie imitation..

5. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

Fulltone ChoralFlange does a GREAT leslie, but it has a larger footprint. The Analogman Clone Chorus is also very good, and he sells a Mini-Chorus that is the same size as his Beano Boost and Juicer.

6. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

DLS Chorus/Vib or Analog.man Clone Chorus. :AOK

7. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

AnalogMan Mini Clone Chorus. Depth set to about 11:00, Speed set to 3:00 does a real nice fast Leslie swirl, and in front of a light, warm distortion pedal or amp, it makes early breakup sound like you're really pushing a Leslie.

It even sounds great (set to a fast swirl) actually IN FRONT of a Leslie set to slow you get a pretty complex, very warm sound (tried that in a studio last week).

Brett

8. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

MXR Micro-Chorus.

It's quite a bit different from most other choruses, definitely more in the Leslie/swirl ballpark. I'm not sure why, maybe the delay time is shorter or something - but it's my favorite chorus by far. And it has just one knob, that you can turn with your foot :).

Not reissued, so you'll need to find an old one, and not 'true' bypass - but easily converted. And noisy... but so are Leslies ;).

9. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

+1 on the Arion SCH You can spend more money but this thing really does the trick for a very reasonable price

10. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

The Analogman Chorus does an excellent job of a Leslie............... it's also a nice thick sounding chorus!

11. fakeox

fakeox Member

Just going by clips, the Foxrox TZF sounds pretty close; BIG bucks tho..

12. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Hey Eric,
    Got the Cone Chorus with the deep mode last week. Sounds really great. Give me a call and you can check it out if you want.
    Nick

13. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

t.c. electronic chorus/flanger...

14. covert

covert Member

In my experience, leslie tones from a pedal are extremely subject to conditions. Same rig in a different room will not sound like that. Hell, same rig the next day won't sound right.

15. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

I would have to give it to the AM Clone Clone. Esp. if you have a "thin" setting, you can get a great leslie sound considering its a chorus pedal.

Arion certainly has its props too.

16. albuht813

albuht813 Member

+1 for Analogman Clone chorus.

I have the bichorus and it makes it easy to switch from two chorus settings. I have mine set at a slow shimmery chorus and deep, fat leslie. Sometimes I prefer AM's leslie to my rotosphere.

17. eric-d

eric-d Member

REALLY?!?! Wow.... I liked the Rotosphere but I have a ChoralFlange now. I really like it but I'd like to have something smaller. It looks like I'm going to be checking into a Mini Clone Chorus..... hmmm.... The wife's not going to like it.... but oh well.... I also just got on the list for a Zendrive.... I'm pretty excited....

18. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I'm really excited to hear the chorus/vibrato from the Deluxe Memory Man's wet output through the Leslie cabinet and the dry sound going to the Dr. Z... also been curious about how the wet signal from a Deluxe Moon Phaser would sound through the actual Leslie cabinet... glad to hear it sounds cool with that Chorus pedal, I'm sure it'll sound plenty cool when I can afford the Moon Phaser.

19. Moushegh

Moushegh Member

I can tell you that my TZF Paradox does a superb Leslie emulation. Just superb!

20. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member