Which chorus pedal??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by AaeCee, Nov 16, 2005.

1. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Heard a strat player in 2nd and 4th pickup configs. going through only a chorus to the amp. Sounded great. I have strats, with bunches of the other basic pedals, but no chorus. I am not so interested in features, but will pay up for great tone and build quality. Whose pedals should I consider? Thanks!!

2. Matt_Scogo

Matt_Scogo Senior Member

Check out Analog Mike's Bi-Chorus or Clone Chorus... pass the sugar please... lush full sound and a nice Leslie effect. A bit pricey, but could be the last Chorus pedal you buy! ;)
    MW

3. hide

hide Member

MIJ CE-2 all the way
    great for cleans and even distorted.

4. dave s

dave s Member

Another really lush, dripping wet type chorus is the Retrosonic Chorus Ensemble. Do a google search and read up on it. Both a chorus and trem that does a wicked leslie effect as well.

Pricey, like many of the top-end FX, but its a keeper on my board.

dave

5. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey AaeCee,

+1 for the Boss MIJ CE-2 chorus pedal. Great for mono amp setups.

Guitar George

6. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

+1

The RS is the best I've tried... watery, lush, and dripping with ambiance. It displaced the Analogman Clone on my board which is no easy task.

7. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

+1 for the Analogman Clone Chorus- drippy, lush, wet sound. With the 3-way toggle you open up even more options, all of which sound great! Can do a great Pink Floyd 'Any Colour You Like' type thing too. True bypass and really great headroom, esp. for running at 9v. I love mine, but have only owned 1 other boutique chorus (Choralflange) to compare it against.

I looked at the Retro-Sonic, but I wanted to stick with my Power-All for all my pedal power needs... since it requires a 16v dedicated adapter, it didn't make the cut.

-Ben

8. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I'm also really interested in this thread. Seems like a at any given time we get 3 vibe threads going, always lots of OD and Fuzz/Distortion threads, but I think it is rare that we ever get Chorus threads.

I own one "chorus" pedal. The Visual Sound H2O and I am really happy with it. Chorus can easily slip away and make a guitar sound too artificial but when you get the slight chorus effect going right it can really add that sparkle and feel.

But as pure chorus, I just realized this is the only one I ever owned. I have had three vibes (still have two of them) the CC2, the Mini-deja-vibe, and the Mojo, and all three have a chorus (switchable from chorus to vibrato) side.

I'm not completely clear in my mind about what the difference between a "vibe" on chorus setting and an actual chorus, though I can hear the difference, I was wondering what is actually going on with the signal that makes the two (vibe set to chorus vs. chorus pedal) different. Can anyone explain it?

Also, probably for the origintator of the thread, but definitely for me, I'd love to hear more recommendations, and if not too much trouble, how many chorus pedals you tried before the one you felt was "it".

9. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

For me it's the ChoralFlange. Just got it, and LOVE it.

10. mustangman

mustangman Member

+2 great pedal and if you dont have much room on your board you can just go with the mini clone chorus, like i did :D

11. Yek

Yek Member

:AOK for the ChoralFlange. Recently re-discovered its chorus settings, before that I used primarily the flanging / leslie sounds.

12. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

check out the TKI analog chorus (lazeman) i just got one and there a bit tough to find, but have an "oh my goodness!" kind of tone to them...

13. Fernando

Fernando Member

I keep repeting myself, soryy, but the DLS Chorus~Vib is the best, in my opinion.

14. MinuteMan

MinuteMan Member

Are you second guessing me, man?

15. erksin

erksin Member

+1

16. Ken

Ken Member

+2

I A/Bed the Coralflanger and the DLS...

After hearing how good the Coralflanger was I tried to convince myself that I would buy it...

But the DLS Chorus kept sounding better for what I play...So I bought the DLS and I am very happy :)

17. Graham Sloan

Graham Sloan Member

The Red Witch Medusa sounds nice to my ears :)

18. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

Yep, me too, I'd like to know the difference between a vibe+chorus pedal set to any of the effects and a just vibe and a chorus pedal?

The DLS chorus vibe, is the vibe good?

19. erksin

erksin Member

First of all - the DLS does NOT do Vibe (Hendrix/Trower Uni-Vibe stuff), it does pitch-shifting Vibrato (Magnatone amps, Boss VB-2) - two completely different sounding effects. The DLS does do GREAT Vibrato tones IMO - it's what I primarily use it for and I've owned both the VB-2 and a '62 Magnatone 440 w/Vibrato...

20. jeffinaustin

jeffinaustin Supporting Member

I've owned 2 Choralflanges, the DLS Chorus Vib, a Meistersinger, and a CE2. The CE2 has stayed the longest by far. Something about the boutique choruses that start sounding stale after awhile to me. I think the Boss has made it the longest because it just sounds thick and chorus'y. It's not trying to do anything fancy. It's just trying to be a chorus.

Maybe I'm getting old :)