Which clean boost, SHO, Xotic, or <fill in the blank>

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by missingMN, Mar 15, 2006.

1. missingMN

missingMN Member

Hi,

I have a Savage Rohr 15 and am lookng for a clean boost pedal. It seems people are quite high on the Zvex SHO (or 2:1) an the Xotic RC. Any opinions out there?

thx in advance,
    b

2. Dana

Dana Guest

I have a Bad Bob. I don't know how highly regarded they are around here as I'm pretty new, but it works for me. YMMV.

3. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Xotic RC
    2in1
    if you can find one....lovepedal twin60!

4. trucks

trucks Member

Lovepedal Twin Sixty well worth tracking down. It kicked the SHO off my board.

5. jpagey

jpagey Member

Keeley Katana or Lovepedal Twin 60 are what I use.

6. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the Keeley Katana. It is very clean and has quite a bit of boost on tap. It also has the cool knob-out grit, offering some versatility.

7. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I like the RC, I've also had a Fulltone Fatboost and a Durham Sexdrive and I've tried the SHO and the 2 in 1.

The RC is the most versatile with its full EQ and gain sections but perhaps the Sexdrive was a bit more vibey.

The Z Vex are also great pedals but can be a bit bright with certain guitar/amp combos. I'm a bridge pickup Tele/Vox player so I found that to be the case.

8. spentron

spentron Member

Shameless spam: Contour Boost, see sig.

9. missingMN

missingMN Member

so far all the pedals recommended look great and I am having a huge attack of GAS. but, if i had to rank them the Xotic RC still seems to offer the most options since it has the bass and treble EQ. Any see something i am missing?

10. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Does the Keeley have a noticeable click when engaged? A lot of true bypass pedals do but this isn't something I need in the middle of a song.

11. what?

what? Member

I've got both the twin 60 and keeley katana and if I had to choose one it would be the twin 60. I just cant stop raving about it. BUT, if you are completely happy with your original tone, go with the katana, it is more transparent, but can get a bit ice pick high end when turned up, the twin 60 on the other hand is warmer and thickens your sound, if you have already somewhat "bassy" sound kicking in the twin 60 could give you mud. I got problem with the MI audio crunch box for being a bit muddy on my amp and volume level, kicking in the katana opens up the presence of the distorted tone and it just rip me head off :Devil

12. jgyn

jgyn Member

Zvex Super Duper 2 in 1.

13. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

+1 for SuperDuper 2n1, or AnalogMan Bd-2 mod gets a GREAT clean boost & a killer mild overdrive.

14. pepperco

pepperco Member

The singer in my band has a rohr 15,
    I have a sho and an RC booster.....

The sho may be a little bright or sizzely for this amp,
    although he did use my sho "always on" for all 10
    tracks of our record as a "line driver-enhancer-articulator"
    (with his rohr).

Ther RC would be a better choice for this amp in my opinion.

I tried to talk him into getting one of the Divided by 13
    switch hazels for his rohr. It would be PERFECT for
    channel switching / boosting on the rohr 15.
    http://www.dividedby13.com/accessories.html

15. landru64

landru64 Member

landgraff boost. you won't be sorry.

16. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

17. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I A/B-ed the RC and a catalinbread super chile picoso. No matter how I tweaked, I could not get the RC sounding as good as the SCP. I even made a thread on it a while back, and 95% of the responses concurred.

The SCP just makes you sound better

18. toilet bag

toilet bag Member

SPF Ego Booster.

I love SPF pedals, it's just a shame that they don't get more coverage really. The Ego Booster is completely clean if you want it to be, or it can add bass, middle or treble. Has +25dB boost on tap too.

I've heard the Keeley's are good too, like others have said, but I've never tried one.

19. Stevoreen

Stevoreen Member

I haven't tried the Super Chili Picoso, but I've read a lot of great reviews about them.

I have the "Catalinbread Sagrado Poblano Picoso" boost. It really thickens and boost your sound. I use it to give my cleans a fuller sound or boost my overdrives. Works perfect for both situations.

20. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

+ 1 on the Super Chili Picoso. It's a great pedal and I've used it alot!

It's also very versatile, it sounds good as a solo boost, basic clean boost (your basic amp tone but just bigger & better!), overdrive driving the hell out of your amp input and so on.. It does everything very well. It has some flattering eq, but nothing OTT or nothing that would irritate atleast me, and I'm pretty easily irritated by eq frequencies that I didnt invite to the party :).

I for one wouldnt want my clean boost to have more than one knob, volume. I really don't want to eq my clean boost, I want it to be as functional and simple as possible and do the job. I find it really can drive you crazy when you have lots of pedals that you'll have to adjust, volume/drive/tone (and most pedals that have more than one control for tone I wont even think about!), the amp, the guitar and if your freaking clean boost needs some additional tweaking, when in the world will you have time to do what you're supposed to do: play music?! :)