Which Comp pedal to get?

skiltrip

Supporting Member
Looking under $150. Closer to $100 the better. On my list, Xotic SP, Ego Mini, Dyna Comp Mini, Dyna Comp, Whitey Tighty, open to suggestions. Just looking for some nice musical leveling. No funk spankin needed though I’ll take it if it’s there.

Looking under $150. Closer to $100 the better. On my list, Xotic SP, Ego Mini, Dyna Comp Mini, Dyna Comp, Whitey Tighty, open to suggestions. Just looking for some nice musical leveling. No funk spankin needed though I’ll take it if it’s there.
Mad Professor Forest Green, 4 knob PCB. Excellent deals to be had on reverb.com, especially by making an offer on a used one. It's warm and musical, much sweeter sounding, tonally, than say a SP Comp. Ego is good, but I personally like the Forest Green better.

Last edited:

skiltrip

Supporting Member
Mad Professor Forest Green, 4 knob PCB. Excellent deals to be had on reverb.com, especially by making an offer on a used one. It's warm and musical, much sweeter sounding, tonally, than say a SP Comp. Ego is good, but I personally like the Forest Green better.
Definitely appreciate that suggestion. Looking into that one now.

From your list:
- The SP Comp is solid, you see a lot of them on pro boards. I have one, recommended.
- Wampler builds good stuff and the Ego is no exception. The guy at Ovnilabs liked it as well, and he’s very particular about compression.
- The Dyna Comp is a real love it or hate it proposition. It’s been on many classic recordings but I find it overwhelming. I prefer comps with a Blend control.
- I haven’t tried the JHS Tighty Whitey but I like the clips I have heard. I know there’s some controversy with JHS; you’ll need to research and see if it’s a dealbreaker for you.

ChrisP

My limited experience...
I had the Keeley + and the Boss Cp-1x
I returned the Keeley. The boss is quieter and does what the Keeley did.
The Boss does the spank and the leveling. It does not rob the high end. Maybe a tiny bit but I actually like the difference in tone.

Bearfoot Pale Green V4 with treble and bass controls. Sounds so sweet. Doesn’t get squashed but good enough for most comp needs. Dead quiet too.

Just don't get a dyna comp.. this is the one I have & don't use much.
Optical ones are good..
The ones with a mix/blend knob are dope.

candid_x

Supporting Member
Love the SP. Easy to dial in, mixes direct signal, 3-way switch means I have a variety of intensity without needing to re-configure anything, tiny footprint, and it's super quiet for a compressor.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Supporting Member
Price is right on the MXR Mini and it sounds pretty darned good... mine is on the shelf at the moment, but I can’t bring myself to sell it since it’s just a solid pedal and it’s good to have it ready whenever I want/need one.

Trending Topics