Which company does a better job with packing: Musician's Friend or Music123?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Ivo, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Ivo

Ivo Member

Say, for example, you are outside the U.S and these 2 major retailers have the guitar you want in stock, are thankfully one of the few willing to ship to you and offer the best shipping prices. The instrument in question does not come with a case or gig bag. Which of these two would bother with double boxing/properly packing items going overseas? When I'm ready to order, I'll be contacting both of them in any case, but I'd like to hear some real world experiences from my peeps on TGP. :p Thanks!

2. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

They are the same company.

3. airportbar

airportbar Member

4. Ivo

Ivo Member

Oh snap. Thanks guys. Completely forgot about the acquisition in the late '00s. lol How is their packing these days?

Truthfully, I'd like to order it from Sweetwater as I know they'd do a good job, but their shipping cost is $300 vs around $180 for the major retailers.

5. autologic

autologic Member

But if you order it from Sweetwater, it comes with CANDY! I didn't even realized Sweetwater charged for shipping... I've only ordered from them twice, but it was free shipping both times.

6. Link Ramone

Link Ramone Member

Yes the Sweetwater packing is a hoot. I ordered some stuff a couple weeks ago simply because I was too lazy that day to drive the 2.5 miles to my nearest music store (don't worry, I do spend a lot of dough there, support local retailers and all of that). Just a bunch of picks, strings, straps and strap locks. I'm looking for a shoebox-size package. This friggin' box the size of a combo amp shows up, packed tight with paper, all three or so pounds of my stuff and a god**m bag of candy. I laughed my ass off.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  7. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Member

The OP is outside the US... they do charge for shipping in that case.

8. lespaulreedsmith

lespaulreedsmith Member

where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains
    well, I get orders from Musician's Friend and sometimes their packing plain 'ole sucks. Even a couple guitars atrociously under packed a long while back.

I'd use Sweetwater because they are definitely a class act for the most part imho. (even though the cost is more)

9. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

It just depends. Sometimes the packing is not so great, but most of
    the time they overpack.

By that I mean they put the factory guitar box inside of a great huge box
    with a bunch of padding between.

Then you have a huge box and all of that padding you have to dispose of.

10. spence

spence Member

Musician's Friend packing stinks. They always pack in an oversized box, and put paper around the inner box which provides no support at all. I just got 2 speakers with bent frames. They were sliding around in the main box, throwing the balance off. Somewhere along the way, the box was dropped because of the instability. I usually buy from Sweetwater, but they didn't have what I needed in stock. The only good thing about Musician's Friend was they sent me 2 new speakers just minutes after I called them about the damaged ones. I got the new speakers in good shape, but they were packed exactly the same way. They're just trying to get stuff out the door as fast as they can with as little care possible.

11. Ivo

Ivo Member

Thanks for the input guys. Gonna bite the shipping cost and go with Sweetwater. I do recall ordering an Epiphone Emperor Regent (acoustic archtop) from MF years ago and it arriving with pieces of the inner bracing loose inside the oversized packing box. Also, around the same time, ordered a G&L Legacy USA and it arrived with a dent on the body, even though it was in a hardcase. Same oversized packing box filled with newspaper. Was hoping they changed after all this time. :/

12. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

MF is awful. Or at least they were 9-10 years ago, which was the last time I bought something from them. They shipped me a 50 pound amp in a box that was too big with very little packaging material inside. Needless to say, the amp arrived damaged. The back grill had broken off and one of the transformers was dented. Not to mention the surface scrapes.

13. woodbury

woodbury Supporting Member

Check out zzounds/AMS as well. They always ship in a good fit outside box.

Sweetwater would be my first choice though.

14. HammyD

HammyD Supporting Member

I bought some Groove Tubes from Musician's Friend. Poorly packed, loose in the box and not a matched set as promised. It was too late to return after the tech and gone through all the trouble to rebiased the amp. Heard similar complaints from fellow TGP'ers. I'll never do business with them again.

15. Mighty Melvin

Mighty Melvin Member

How about those companies that put the product in the box and then stuff paper or bubble stuff on top, so the product is only cushioned if it lands on its head but not anywhere else....

16. ixnay

ixnay Member

In my experience, 'those companies' are just about every company.

Every item I order is against the side/bottom/corner of the box with packing material holding it in place. Seems like this would be something covered on day 1, if it was covered at all...

17. rummy

rummy Member

Haven't had any issues from either place.

18. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    Damn, I just ordered and am expecting a Fender kotzen Tele tomorrow, from Music 123, and the guitar comes in a gigbag! I hope they packed it well!

I have found that Sweetwater can be good for some things and other things it isn't worth the extra money. They don't offer matching discounts from other stores. I've tried and my sales person wouldn't accept it.

They wouldn't match the 8th Street Music extra 15% discount, but Music 123 matched it, so I bought there.

19. minorseventh

minorseventh Member

I bought a bass from MF in 2004, and it came in a box. with nothing else. just the bass, and the paperwork, and no packing material or padding. it looked like the headstock took a good drop and one of the tuners was bent. the replacement bass arrived with better packing.
    This was 11 years ago, and the last time I ordered from them. I am a Sweetwater man now. mmmm candy

20. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Member

Sweetwater may not offer matching discounts, but their free 2-year warranty (regardless of the manufacturer's warranty) on virtually everything AND their tech support more than make up for it. Plus, my Sweetwater rep actually knows what he's talking about... and I like dealing with the SAME PERSON every single time.