Which compressor is capable of adding (seemingly) endless harmonically rich sustain?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dB, Feb 18, 2012.

1. dB

dB Member

I'm looking at the Mad Professor, Mirage...maybe a Boss Monte Allums? I like the EQ/sweetening effect of the Diamond, but it doesn't really add a ton of sustain.

What else is out there in the way of sustain? I had a Retro Sonic a very long time ago that I vaguely recall being able to dial in a lot of sustain...almost to the point of what seemed like feedback, or oscillation, or shimmer - basically just seemed endless and really musical. I'm trying to remember why I got rid of that pedal...

2. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Almost any of them.

3. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

The Celmo Sardine Can Compressor. A bit pricey and not easy to find, but I like it better than anything else I've tried. It also has a great foot switchable boost function as well.

4. dB

dB Member

That hasn't been my experience, and I think the Diamond is a good example of that.

5. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

Mad Professor FGC on Sustain mode. It's a great pedal especially with the versatile tone knob but for straight up compression my CS-2 won. Would have kept it for the sustain mode but it's kinda pricey

6. cribcage

cribcage Member

I haven't tried the Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone myself, but I know at least one other guitarist who plays one and he has particularly commented on its sustain.

I can recommend Pigtronix generally. It's a visionary company and I've had good experiences with their products. For compressors, usually I recommend Keeley or Effectrode because those are the ones that have worked for me; but if you're looking specifically for sustain, then take a look at the Philosopher's Tone.

7. markplaysguitar

markplaysguitar Member

I'm not sure if this is really what you're looking for, but you might want to check out the EHX Freeze. It's like a sustain pedal on a piano.

8. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

I just got a Forest Green that I'm very impressed with. Have used a Diamond for the past 3 years, and many others before the Diamond. The FG is equally as good sonically as the Diamond, but has more squish available. A very musical enhancement, smooth...almost too smooth. I use a compressor because I like compression, therefore I'm not really digging the 'sustain' feature of the pedal. Endless sustain is not something I strive for, but I do like the feel and sound of compression so long as it's not overly plinky or restrictive like the Boss model.

Now the question remains will it kick the Diamond off the board, and I can't go there yet. Only time will help decide that. In the meantime, the FG is REALLY sounding great!

9. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

I highly recommend you check out the MXR Custom Comp. There is one for $80 used in the emporium right now.

I've had three Diamond Comps. Just got the Custom Comp in, and it does exactly what you're talking about, while sweetening the tone at the same time.

I read someone's comment yesterday about it being the most underrated compressor right now, and I now 100% agree with this statement.

10. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

the guitar, amp (& fingers/heart-mind) are responsible for "harmonically rich";
    the compressor's role in that is truly secondary.

when i want compression,
    i use an old TC Sustain ParEQ, and still love it after 34 years of hard, road-&-studio-dogged usage.

ymmv.

11. localmotion411

If a piece of gear such as the right compressor for a particular player can inspire him to extract more from his guitar/amp/fingers/heart/mind, then the compressor is just as important as those things.

IMO.

I was noodling yesterday afternoon for a few minutes, plugged straight in, and effectively uninspired. Went to check the mail, came back inside with the MXR Custom Comp, and ended up playing for two hours and coming up with all sorts of phrases and melodies.

12. Resonance7

Resonance7 Member

Have you (or anyone) tried a comparison with the Cs-3? Which is superior?

Also, Can the PGC/FGC (Not really sure of the diff. sonically?) do really heavy, effect-like squishing?

Thanks!

13. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

CS-3 ain't got nothing on the CS-2! The CS-2 sounds so much warmer and more natural.

The CS-2 does a better almost zero compression and hard compression compared to the FGC. The FGC though has a wider range in between these two zones with absolutely zero noise. The tone knob is also pure gold on it.

Also if you're the kind that likes drives before compressor the FGC is transparent while the CS-2 sorts of filters your drive by cutting the highs. That is if you like compressors last in the chain after your drives but that is kinda rare.

14. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

i agree; that's not what i was trying to say, was not at all my point;
    anybody can & should do, play & purchse whatever pleases them, afaic:
    that's certainly all good with me!

my focus was meant to be on the phrase, "harmonically rich".

so, more specifically, i was trying to say this:

if i want more "harmonically rich",
    i look & listen directly to the actual sources of harmonic richness:
    the guitar, the strings, the pickups, cabling and the amp.

a) a compressor can really only work upon whatever quality & breadth of signal is being input to it, and
    b) if the amplifier, itself, is not "harmonically rich", well..... i'd still end-up with a potentially flat & unlively sound, no matter how long the sustain might last.

15. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

The MXR Custom Comp is an awesome buy right now. I see them for $75 to $85 used. It makes one hell of a booster too. I was shocked when i got mine and was suprised that nobody really talks about it here on TGP. Very underrated comp.

16. stratplayer80

stratplayer80 Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up. Snatched the MXR Comp for a great price! I too am looking for that endless sustain. Feel free to pm me some settings.

17. dB

dB Member

I agree with you on all points...and I knew when I typed the title of the thread that it would only be a matter of time before I got called out. I think I'm using 'harmonically rich' less as an accurate, technical description of what a compressor does and more as a way of creating the mental imagery of a certain sound. In my experience, some compressors are very utilitarian (and boring) yet successfully do what they are supposed to do: even things out and provide squish. Whereas, other compressors are these magical 'always on' type pedals that are able to provide presence, clarity, boost...general tonal enhancement...yet never get in the way or color things too much. The really great ones are the ones you don't even realize are on, until you turn them off and realize something is clearly missing. Not a compressor, but my Morning Dew EQ is one these always on kind of pedals, despite that I have the EQ set almost totally flat. I'm more referring to the latter when I use the general description 'harmonic richness'.

But, you're right, it's probably more accurate to consider it a pedal that is helping to bring out or enhance the harmonic richness that already exists.

18. heffernoise

heffernoise Supporting Member

sounds like your after something more on the lines of an ehx freeze.. check it out

19. localmotion411

There are two thumbwheels inside I haven't even touched, but even assuming they are in the stock positions, the settings of the outer two knobs will depend entirely on the sound you're trying to achieve.

That said, I like it just about everywhere on the sweep of the controls. It sounds like a great slightly compressed boost with output at 2 o'clock and sensitivity at 10 o'clock. Crank up the sensitivity all the way up for chicken pickin squash.

I saw on a youtube review where you can tweak the internal controls to get the endless sustain you're looking for.

For an $80 used pedal, I'm thrilled with it.

20. localmotion411

I 100% agree.