Which compressor is for me

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by williamh, Oct 9, 2008.

1. williamh

williamh Supporting Member

I tried out a boss cs-3 today. It did what I was looking for, but added A LOT of noise both when the pedal was on or off. I'm looking for something similar that meets the following:

Mxr sized box preferably(this one is negotiable)
    adds sustain
    adds clarity to complex chords
    tightens things up.

I'd be using it most for clean picked parts to keep the dynamics consistent, and for complex chords, so that some of the notes don't get as lost in the mix. The cs-3 did a pretty good job, but just messed with things too much and was way noisy.

So anyways, any suggestions?

2. Robertito

Robertito Member

Try the Analogman Comprosser. It's great.

3. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

4. Trainwreck

Trainwreck Supporting Member

I have a "EH" nano Soul Preacher and i usually dont use a compressor..But for the price and the three way switch slow,med.,fast..It sounds really good ..

5. Prodigy

Prodigy Senior Member

BYOC 5 knob. Same as the Keeley comp, but with a clean blend knob.

6. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

check the ones on www.cmatmods.com for one the Signa Comp is awesome that is the one I use myself right now.
    My favorite transparent one would be the Diamond Comp btw.

7. cber1517

cber1517 Member

I have the Boss CS-3 with the Monte Allums Opto Plus Mod and it's great! At noon on the sustain, it levels everything out with no noise or squish. At 1 or 2, it begins to squish and color the tone in a very musical way. You don't lose your pick attack if you adjust the attack all the way. The tone control is very useable and adds back the top end sheen that may get lost if you use humbuckers or you can add more sparkle to your single coils. It does get noisy at high sustain settings but I don't go there and I think it's much quieter than the EH Soul Preacher which had white noise all the time no matter what. I had the Tone Press also but didn't find it to be enough for me. I want a little more character from a compressor than tranpsarency I guess.

Cheers!
    :BEER

8. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

I did not know this. How are they the same? Could you please explain. Thank you.

9. jjones

jjones Member

I'm not the one who stated this but it is my understanding as well. The BYOC 5 knob compressor is basically a ross clone with upgraded parts (keeley) and an added clean blend knob.

10. Prodigy

Prodigy Senior Member

Most compressors are Ross clones

11. jonathansuhr

jonathansuhr Member

+1, Keeley comp is an upgraded Ross.

12. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

For an MXR sized box, the Mad Professor Pine Green Comp is supposedly fantastic. I have never played one.

The Tone Press is honestly the best bang for your buck in compressors. Although, the BYOC does have a clean knob as well. I have never played one, but after having a clean blend knob on my comp, I can't see performing without it.

I just hated the 2 knob Keeley. But I am not into the chicken-pickin type licks.

Edit: You might be able to get Dave Barber to build a custom Tone Press in an MXR box. I asked him once, but it would cost at least $400 (or around there) because he would have to design a custom PCB.

13. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Pedal Trading Guru Silver Supporting Member

Chad makes nice comps. I'm painting some boxes for him, and two of mine are up as comps on his ebay site now.

14. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

If you liked the CS-3, consider getting a Humphrey Audio -modded CS-3. I've owned many of the comps mentioned above and the Humphrey did the trick for me.

It's got a wide range of comp from subtle to squish, attack control, super quiet, and the ability to actually dial-in top end - which is what was missing from everything else I tried. All the spank is there - no loss of high end.

It took me years to get to this comp. Hopefully I can save others the trip!

15. pitner

pitner Member

I have a Homebrew Electronics CPR and it rocks and was reasonable in cost for handmade.

16. peacebone

peacebone Member

+1

Mark humphrey's mod work is fantastic and the Atom Smasher CS-3 is no slouch. It's transparent, effective, and pretty easy on the wallet.

17. VictoriluxEL84

VictoriluxEL84 Supporting Member

The Homebrew CPR that Pitner recommended is excellent. The Keeley is fantastic too. I owned them both. My favorite now is the Maxon CP-9 Pro+. Even better sounding to my ears and with a knob to set the compression threshold as well. There is another led that comes on when the compression kicks in, giving visual help in setting the threshold to the desired level. This allows you to play lightly with no compression and when you play harder, the compression is applied.

18. tjmicsak

tjmicsak Member

19. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Sounds very cool, I've been curious about that one because it's a totally original circuit from what I've read.

20. retrokid

retrokid Member

I have used the Keeley 4-knob and it's awesome. Another good candidate will be the Diamond compressor, although it's slighter larger than the Keeley.

I believe the Keeley will satisfy your needs. It's also a quiet pedal as well.