• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Which control knob style do you prefer?

What knob style do you prefer?

• Chicken Head

Votes: 36 66.7%
  • Witch Hat/Numbers On Skirt

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Knurled metal barrel type

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Ridged plastic barrel type

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.7%

• Total voters

chillybilly

Obviously certain control knob types are associaed with certain makes and models...but if you had a choice....

timmy2tone

Chicken heads for amps ... Those white knobs that Alchemy Audio puts on TS9s are pretty snazzy. (For you youngins, Snazzy, adj: "Dope.") ha ha

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
I like the look of the barrel type, but the chickens are easiest to see on stage

roverdog

I checked other because it's more important where they are, ie I hate Top back of Chassis. Much prefer the knobs in front! But Chickenhead are the ones I prefer

kimock

I like the white or brown knob fenders.
Yeah, me too.
I prefer that general direction on the guitar also, the old Harmony and Supro knobs.
So I'm used to the way they handle, easy to touch.
I've got a bunch of chicken heads too, no problem, but I'm leaning more toward the white/brown Fender style for guitar and amp.

aiq

Silver Supporting Member
I find they all turn very well, in both directions. :D

I changed the white cupcakes on my CVR to brown. Wish I could get black ones, maybe they are out there somewhere.

Favs are the Fenders with snowman 8's. Retro fun.

Last edited:

dconeill

Silver Supporting Member
I'm partial to Gibson-style "speed" knobs. I don't know if the numbers are visible, I never look at the numbers anyway. I just like the knobs because they're easy to grasp.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
I'm partial to Gibson-style "speed" knobs. I don't know if the numbers are visible, I never look at the numbers anyway. I just like the knobs because they're easy to grasp.
Chikenheads on guitar are a real problem. Witchats or gnarly barrels there, for me.
We are talking amps and fx, no?

dewey decibel

I never liked the look of chicken heads, but they are very functional. I guess most of my amps have had witch hats...

Chikenheads on guitar are a real problem. Witchats or gnarly barrels there, for me.
We are talking amps and fx, no?
Tis the amp and cabs forum, right?

mikebat

Chicken heads.
HATE those knurled barrels with a barely discernible dark spot (or less!!) on them against a dark panel.
What are they thinking??
I have mentioned this on a Mesa board and the fanboys over there be rated me telling me "use your ears"....wow.

It is obvious they fall into one of two camps, blind fanboys who can never say a negative thing against their beloved or guys who never step on stage.

On stage, regardless of how it sounded in sound check, sometimes knobs get turned, the full room changes the sound, or the adrenaline just makes you need to goose a mid here, bass there. With those stupid Mesa knobs, it is simply impossible to turn around while our playing get a sense of where the knobs are and make a fast tweak between chords.

Rayzaa

Interesting that chicken heads has so many votes. Ive never seen anybody use them on their guitar that i can think of.

Jason_77

As a Marshall guy, I prefer the older style Marshall knobs with the little pointer on them. It's a shame they're no longer made.

Chicken heads are my least favorite but a close second to those are when pricey, boutique amps have these knobs:

Hulakatt

Gold Supporting Member
I like the white Fender "cupcake" knobs from the blonde amps. I particulaly like them on a Marshall for whatever reason.

or one tweed style amps

Trending Topics