Which currently made Univibe clone sounds as good as a 70s Trower recording?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by EADGBE, Nov 11, 2015.

1. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Is the Deja Vibe a contender?

[​IMG]

James and JackStraw12 like this.
  2. JackStraw12

JackStraw12 Member

The MDV3 says on the plate it was designed for Trower..

3. Sparkfriction

Sparkfriction Member

He plays a fulltone vibe today and i am sure all the other clones will nail that tone. But there is way more going on as the pedal.to male the vibe sound right. Amp, settings of the amp, the guitar and so on... A Voodoo Lab Micro Vibe is freaking close to the original and "cheap". Better as the most other faux vibes. Foxrox Aqua Vibe but i guess it can be hard to dial in right... Dunno... I guess its just something you will hear a difference in direct a/b and still. There is the overall trower sound which is way more important to make the vibe sound right.

4. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Member

Danelectro Cool Cat Vibe baby... about a 1 second delay from button push to effect start, but easy to work around. Got mine for $20 brand new in box....

beerijuana likes this.
  5. fuzzfoot

fuzzfoot Member

This. It can nail it. If you're using it with dirt pedals, place it before your dirt.

6. Zeon45

Zeon45 Member

I've been through a few of the ones mentioned here and settled on the Sweetsound Ultravibe II. The Jam Pedals RetroVibe looks interesting tho....

deeohgee likes this.
  7. corn husk bag

corn husk bag Silver Supporting Member

No!

8. Plexihead

Plexihead Member

^ Laughable... of course it is, Fulltone gear just isn't for the cool kids on this site.

9. trower

trower [geer/peyj] hubris confusion paralysis by analysis Silver Supporting Member

Just my 2 cents; That Fulltone is a contender only in that it's gonna get you his later years Vibe sounds, not so much his 70's sound so I would agree it's not a good contender to the OP's question. He's using the older out of production Deja 2 pedal version (I will get schooled here I'm sure that the guts are all the same) but it's been my experience that some Fulltone units sound a bit different from version to version. I'm not knocking FT but Iv'e tried 5 different units, I really gave them a chance. They can be sweet but I didn't hear early Trower so I moved on. I think there are better options out there and this has nothing to do Fulltone or chasing the crowd.

Seems everyone is making Vibes now and improving them...I'm loosing track. To get back to the OP's question; The one that will get you there will probably be an "always on" vintage correct unit and there lays the conundrum. With Vibe "improving/changing" this may inherently strays from the original formula in some way. All I can say is save up for an original...hopefully you'll come across a good unit. I went through 3 before keeping the best of the lot but I'm still on the lookout for that magical new unit like many of us here.

10. broken_sound

broken_sound Member

Bob Sweet made the best uni-vibe clones in a pedal IMO.

11. Roe

Roe Member

the roger mayer tc vibe is close enough for me

71strat likes this.
  12. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Castledine Supra-Vibe is the best most convincing vibe Ive ever had.. tons better than the Bob Sweet Mojo Vibe and original big box 1997 Fulltone Deja 2 I had before.

I have the expression pedal that allows control on the fly. Also cool when used at the same time with a wah pedal. Plus the Cancel allows you to play through circuit without the effect so that you can get that full vintage warm tone and no vibrato.

The video here speaks for itself.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
    ScienceFriction likes this.
  13. 71strat

71strat Member

For simplicity...

+1 on the Mayer Voodo Vibe TC Vibe. It does everything needed for a great Vibe Also don't forget the Trower, Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Page, and bunch of others, all used pedals either made by Mayer, or modded by Mayer. This 1 uses the original circuit. As does VV+

Hendrix/Trower neither 1 used a Stock Original Univibe.

The original was of course used as the basis for modifications.

But if you want the real deal and the upgrades/mods Mayer did to the original pedals..

Mayer is IMHO the 1st choice, and has been building pedals since the early-mid 60s.[​IMG]

AceBSpankin and Roe like this.
  14. Burstbucker

Burstbucker Member

I already had a small box Mega Vibe but ended up getting a used MDV-3 pedal because I liked the idea of a small footprint and a foot control for the speed.

Apparently, this MDV-3 is the closest copy out there according to Fuller's info and Trower himself uses them, so they must be good right?

Funny thing though, I think I prefer the Mega Vibe, it just has a more warm/vintage sound IMHO. The Mega Vibe is more bassy and round-sounding, while the MDV-3 is brighter and has a different sounding warble. I prefer the Fulltone's build-quality but just bassed on tone alone, I think the Mega Vibe beats it.

15. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

I know there is a difference (subtle to my ears) between a vibe and a phaser, but I don't get it. Can someone explain?

16. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

Wow did you use the internal ajustments on the Vibronuat also?

17. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Vibe has a two part throb, one stronger and one weaker that was to simulate a rotating speaker, in addition to the phase, which also sounds more lush to me than a phaser. They do sound different enough that I have both on my board. If I could only have one it would be vibe.

deeohgee likes this.
  18. amphead777

amphead777 Member

It's not close, the KR Mega Vibe nails it.

19. vintage66

vintage66 Member

The Mayer Voodoo Vibe does sound good in demos but it's over $400. Cheaper than the big one but that's still steep.

The Jam pedals one is on my radar but in some demos it's hard to hear the quieter second throb and I read one comment that someone returned theirs for that reason but I hear it on the company's demo which sounds awesome. How is the throb, and especially the second throb on these?
    I have a cream mini Deja and it's not the pile of crap some would have you believe. I'm considering an upgrade but I'd like to hear some side by side demos. I adjusted the trim pot and it's got decent throb. What I first noticed about Trower's sound years ago before I knew about vibes was the subtle throb- it wasn't overbearing. This was on the original Live album.

FXPedal.com likes this.
  20. bettset

bettset Member

i don't do trower stuff and he's as good as it gets........since 2006 i've been using an mjm 60's vibe. picked up his custom shop one last winter. i have the aqua vibe, dry bell, and a few others collecting dust. the mjm just works better with what i use :munch

Stratobuc likes this.